Chapter 40

That evening, the drawing room was crowded with people. Most of them were kind, and some of them had become friendly acquaintances to Arthur. He had changed a great deal since the first day when he had arrived. His melancholy air and mournful silence had disappeared. Now, his quiet nature only made him seem pleasant and wiser than his years could explain. His eyes were usually bright with joy, and he truly enjoyed talking with all of the older gentlemen.

Gracie wiggled in impatience and weariness. Every tick of the clock made her feel sleepy and bored. Her brother might have liked the political discussions that those elderly men brought up, but she couldn't make heads or tails of them.

At last, a tempting thought came to her mind. She gave the piano a wistful glance then rose to her feet and quietly moved away from her brother's side. He didn't seem to notice. She felt just a little bit guilty, wondering whether it was rude to leave without being excused. But she couldn't stand another minute of that boring talk. She had to do something exciting.

As she sat down at the piano bench, she paused, feeling shy of the crowd around her. She couldn't decide which song she wanted to play. And she couldn't overcome the fear that she would hit a wrong key and startle everyone with the discord. Before she solved her dilemma, she heard a voice not too far away.

"Silence is a beautiful melody, but I am eager to hear what new song is created when your fingers touch the keys," Mr. Bently said. He was sitting a short distance from the instrument, and for the last twenty minutes, he had dropped out of the other conversations to focus on his own thoughts.

Gracie blushed and hesitated. She remembered, briefly, the moment when Arthur had asked her not to see Mr. Bently anymore. But it would be rude to ignore him. Besides, she couldn't help but like the jolly man.

"I confess, I don't know just what to play. And I am afraid I will make a terrible blunder no matter what I choose! What a dreadful pianist everyone would think me then!"

"Ah, but I know better than that. I seem to remember a time when you made up a song of your own; a very pretty one. Won't you try your imagination again and set music to a few more words you know?"

The girl shook her head nervously. "I couldn't," she breathed. "I just couldn't!"

"Then, allow me to choose a song for you to play," the man suggested.

"Would you? I would feel so much better about that!"

Mr. Bently sorted through the stack of sheet music beside the piano and finally set a copy of Bach's Minuet in G Major before her. Gracie stumbled through the piece with tolerable skill, making a sound that was pleasing even if it wasn't perfect.

When she reached the end of the page, Mr. Bently thought to turn it for her, but he couldn't. At that moment, another person stepped near and drew the page back so her song could continue.

Gracie hadn't seen her brother come forward, but she could feel his presence as he stood behind her. With a feeling of worry, she faltered and almost let the song end.

"Don't stop, Gracie," Arthur urged kindly. "You are doing so well!" It put a glow in his heart to see a look of encouragement and relief spread over her face. His presence made her feel more at ease suddenly. But it stole Bently's ease away, and Arthur saw it instantly.

With a polite but cool nod, Mr. Bently drew a few steps back and took his chair again. Arthur scrutinized him for a long minute, wondering what kind of man he was.