Chapter 6

The chiming bells rang loud and clear through the air. Timothy's busy hands slowed their work as he heard it. To him, it was the most beautiful music, and it was calling him away to the big church in town.

He glanced at the maids in the kitchen questioningly and watched them for a moment. They had been slaving away all day long, making pastries, teas, and all good things for the guests. It had been a constant rush to make sure that everyone in Hannover's magnificent hotel were served and satisfied, and the work wasn't finished yet. Timothy had had his fair share of the work. Everyone seemed to need him all the time, and he was more than happy to help. But now, he was tired, and the distant bells made him think how nice it would be to sit and listen to the Bible being read.

"Mary," Timothy began, listening to the last toll of the bell. "Are them the church bells I 'ear?"

"That's right, love," the woman answered, never ceasing her work.

The boy fidgeted, with a little smile on his face, as he continued. "I used t' sit right close t' the church's door back where I used t' live. An' the old minister there, he always said the nicest fings. Did ya ever go t' listen to 'im?"

Mary gave a nice smile. She swept a stray strand of hair away from her plump face, dusted the flour off of her hands, and began untying her apron. "I've sat through a good many sermons, dearie," she answered. "And since I've got a few minutes on me 'ands, I'm off to 'ear one now. I always go to church if I can. It's what me mum an' dad raised me to do. They always said it was our duty to go to church."

"Duty?" the little boy asked quizzically. "But ain't a duty somefing like 'ard work? I don't fink goin' t' church is 'ard at all! I like it! But...I don't reckon I can go, can I Mary? Do errand boys get t' go t' church on a Sunday?"

Mary chuckled. "Don't know, love. You'll 'ave to ask Hannover that one."

Asking Hannover anything wasn't an easy or pleasant-seeming task. There was something about the man's severe, complaining temper that intimidated most people. But Timothy wasn't frightened a bit. He ran upstairs right away and snuck to his master's door without being seen by any of the guests. Then, after knocking quietly, he slipped into the room.

Mr. Hannover didn't hear the child enter. He was standing in front of his big mirror, working very hard to make himself look sophisticated and fashionable. He was wearing a fine black suit, with a patterned waistcoat and a gold watch chain that shined dazzlingly. There were white gloves on his hands, a tall black hat on his head, and a smirk of admiring satisfaction on his face. On a normal day, Hannover's tidy outfit was rather simple. But on Sunday, every show of finery came to bear witness to his wealth.

"Well, Hannover," the man thought aloud, "I say, you're looking rather well in that new gold chain! And the hat does just the trick! Now I wonder if anyone else will notice? How could they not? It isn't every fellow who wears a chain and watch like this one. I'm bound to stand out in the crowd. The new minister will surely notice me, and—"

Feeling a little awkward, Timothy cleared his throat and knocked again. Hannover gave a start, silencing himself.

"What in the blazes are you doing there?" the man asked, only slightly perturbed.

"Well, sir, I came t' ask you a question. Just a little question, if ya please, sir." Tim answered in an appeasing voice. "It's about Sunday an' church."

"I suppose you are going to ask for Sunday off from now on," Hannover interrupted. "The answer is absolutely not. Sunday may be a day of rest to some, but never to a businessman. There is no rest in this house. It is always work, work, work! Especially on Sunday! Sunday is just the day when all of the guests like to stay indoors chatting after church services."