Chapter 35

"We leave for London in two days," Preston Carlyle decided.

A shout of cheers rang out around the breakfast table. But Gracie looked up at her uncle with sad, pleading eyes.

"Two days!" she exclaimed. "Oh, but Uncle, could we not stay a little longer?"

"Why should we? We have already stayed a whole week longer than I had originally planned," the man replied.

Grace blushed. "I know," she said, smiling shyly. "But I do so want to find that treasure! And—" An outburst of laughter interrupted her.

"Ah, the treasure! So that's what holds you back, is it? You silly girl! How many times must I tell you that that is only a legend? No, no! I am not about to change my plans for the whims of a fanciful child. We leave the day after tomorrow for our home in London and all of the city's attractions."

"Indeed!" Amelia put in. "I am eager to find myself at home again. Not to mention, I really must speak with my seamstress about making me a new evening gown."

"And Mummy," Enna squeaked, "you promised to buy me a new dolly! Remember? You promised! I don't like my old dolly any more. When I get my new one, I shall throw the other away!"

Grace gave a horrified start. "You shall do no such thing!" she cried with mild anger. "That is my doll! You know it is! Enna how could you?" She caught a stern look from her aunt's eyes; a look which silenced her at once.

"Grace, how dare you raise your voice at this table!" the woman scolded. "And at MY daughter! Really, you appall me! Have I not told you over and over again that you are too old to play with such childish things? Are you so selfish that you would not allow a little girl to get some enjoyment from an old, disused toy? I am ashamed! It is fortunate for you that Arthur has not yet joined us for breakfast! What a disappointment you must be to him!"

The livid color of Grace's cheeks suddenly cooled to its usual frightened pallor. She felt her heart sink and all of the fire that had sprung up inside of her was squelched.

A disappointment? she repeated, brokenheartedly. Am I a disappointment? Am I selfish and horrible? She moaned inside and forced herself to believe it. It must have been dreadful of her to covet the doll her mother had given her. It must have been selfish of her not to give it up entirely and allow Enna to use and destroy it.

She felt tears springing up in her eyes but, with an effort, she swallowed the lump in her throat. You mustn't cry, she told herself. Auntie says that nothing will annoy Arthur more than to see me always weeping. And I don't want to annoy him!

At that moment, the door to the dining room opened, and all of the Carlyles looked up to greet the late riser. Grace did not. She looked down at the table and let her long golden hair hide her tear-swollen eyes and white face. That was why she didn't see what made everyone else gaze in astonishment.

"Good morning!" Arthur greeted in a lively voice. He walked into the room, smiling with cheer as he took his seat at the table. "Forgive me for being late. I hope you have not waited for me!" he said.

His voice sounded as cordial and gentlemanly as ever. But there was something different about it today: something alive, happy, and good humored. That tone of voice drew Grace's heart, but she still didn't have the courage to look at him. With tears still brimming in her eyes, she was sure she was unfit to be seen. Besides, if she looked at him, it would draw his attention, and then she would be frozen by awkward timidity.

The Carlyles were taken aback. But it only took them a minute to recover themselves and return his joyful smile.

"Oh, no! We have certainly waited on no one except for the maid to bring our meal! It arrived only a moment ago!" Preston answered happily.