[book 1] chapter fourteen: confessions & revelations

Começar do início

    He stepped forward and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from James. "I thought I told you not to speak to him again."

    "You can't treat me like I'm a kid, Brent. I can make my own decisions."

    "If you don't want me fighting him then you're banned from seeing that piece of shit ever again."

    "Don't call him that."

    He looked at me with disbelief. "You're standing up for him after what he did to me?"

    I shook my head at him. "For the record that was both of your faults."

    "You're not seeing him again," Brenton warned. "I mean it."

    I pulled my arm out of his grasp. "I'll do what I want." Without looking back at his reaction I walked to James.

                        ~*~

    "For the last fifteen minutes of class I will let you all work in your pairs for your project," Mr. Ridgeway announced.

    Holden came over and plopped down on the seat beside mine. "Today was interesting."

    "Don't remind me."

    "You should listen to Brenton. I heard that guy is bad news."

    I let out a sigh. "That's the thing. You all keep hearing he's bad but none of you actually experienced that firsthand."

    "I mean he did beat up your brother," he justified.

    I gave him a wry smile. "Brent beat him up too. So aren't they the same then?"

    "Dani, you know Brent's a good guy," he dismissed.

    I shrugged my shoulders at his response. Both Holden and my brother were too damn stubborn to realize they were being hypocrites. "Just because you don't know James doesn't mean he isn't a good guy."

    "Onto more lighthearted topics." Holden glanced at the assignment rubric. "Want to meet up tonight to work on this?"

    I shot him a questioning look. "Aren't you grounded?"

    He grinned in reply. "My dad likes you, he'll let me come."

    I nodded. "See you tonight then."

                        ~*~

    I parked my car on the driveway. James didn't say a word as he got out, not that I expected him to. Brenton was standing on our porch when I got out of my car. Long story short, he did not look pleased. 

    "Did I piss you off?" Brenton asked. "Are you doing this to spite me or something?"

    I walked past him and opened the door. "No offense, but you aren't exactly significant enough for me to want to spite." I was about to go upstairs but I was called back down.

    "Daniella, come to the living room," Mom said.

    "Aren't you supposed to be at work?" I asked. It wasn't usual for Mom to be home before seven o'clock on a weeknight.

    "I came home to pick up some paperwork but I need to have a chat with you." Confusion was etched on my face as I followed her to the living room. Mom sat down on the couch and I sat beside her. "Your brother told me some interesting news," she began. "It appears that you have made a new friend."

    I had no idea where this was going. "Yeah, and?"

    Mom folded her freshly manicured hands and placed them on her lap. "It has come to my attention that this new boy you've befriended is a troublemaker. Brenton tells me he gets into fights with students and he is involved with drugs."