[book 2] chapter thirty-six: when opportunity knocks

MY EYES SLOWLY opened and I was surrounded by darkness

MY EYES SLOWLY opened and I was surrounded by darkness. I let out a soft groan as I slowly got up, confused why I was sleeping on the floor. When I felt James beneath me I figured we must have fallen asleep during our conversation last night.

"Stop moving," the aforementioned sleepyhead grumbled as he pulled me back into his chest.

As much as I would have loved to continue snuggling with my boyfriend, he was supposed to leave for Penbrooke hours ago. "James, wake up," I whispered. I grabbed the nearest object, which I was hoping was a pillow, and I smacked his arm.

"What the hell was that?" he hissed, instantly sitting up. He took his cell phone out of his pocket and shone the flashlight. 

What I had thought would be a pillow was actually a hardcover book. Oops.

"Shit, it's two in the morning," he gasped when he saw the time.

"You can stay the night in Niko's bedroom if you don't want to drive," I offered.

He shook his head. "I have an early morning start, I should get going."

I walked him out to his car, bummed he had to leave but also too tired to react. We were standing on the driveway when I saw a figure move out of the corner of my eye.

I clutched onto his arm, my nails digging into his skin. "Did you see that?"

He held back a yawn. "See what?"

"I saw someone." I pointed at the space between my house and his old house. "Over there."

James marched over to see who was there. "Who's there?" he barked. I followed closely behind to help catch the culprit, letting out a breath of relief when we busted the perpetrator.

It was my weirdo neighbour.

"Who are you?" James asked.

"I live here," the boy replied snarkily, a lollipop in his hand. He glanced at me. "So this is the boyfriend? You can do better."

I snorted at his confidence. "Yeah, who? You?"

"If you wait five years for me," he answered eagerly.

"So this is my competition, huh?" James said with a chuckle.

I playfully shoved his arm before focusing back on the neighbour. "What are you doing out this late?"

"I heard your house is a crime scene. I was hoping to catch the bad guy!"

This kid had clearly seen way too many movies.

I knew I shouldn't have been condoning his little investigation, but any information helped. "Have you seen anything?"

He shrugged his shoulders, licking his lollipop. "I've seen you sneak off in a black car a few times."

Was I really that obvious that everyone knew?