[book 1] chapter twelve: semi-finals

Start from the beginning

    "Is everyone sitting in the bleachers?" Brenton asked as he came over. He was so giddy and bouncing all over the place, I couldn't tell if it was pre-game jitters or drugs.

    I bit back the grimace threatening to show. "Niko has exams and Alex is sick."

    He fiddled with his lacrosse stick, energy radiating off of him. "Is Mom here?"

    I looked down to avoid his eyes. "She said she couldn't make it."

    "Oh."

    Hearing his deflated voice made me feel even worse. He had really hoped she would come. It wouldn't have killed her to miss one evening of work to come out and support her son. 

    "I'm sorry," I said.

    He put on a smile though we both knew it wasn't genuine. "Don't sweat it. Are you ready to see me win?"

    I smiled back with the same questionable genuineness, hoping it looked convincing enough. "Don't let me down."

    He patted my back. "Go get a good seat. I think Amber's here now."

    "Good luck." I shot him one last smile before heading outside. 

    I didn't even know Amber was here, she never texted me. I pushed open the doors and walked toward the field. The loud sounds of chatter and cheering filled the air. I went to the bleachers and took a seat. There was a cool breeze out, and I rubbed my palms against my upper arms to keep myself warm.

    "Cold, isn't it?"

    "I wish lacrosse was an indoor sport," I grumbled.

    Amber sat down beside me. "Where's the rest of the Parker gang?"

    "Not showing up."

    Thankfully she didn't press further. "How's your mysterious hottie?"

    I shrugged, focusing my attention on the field. "We aren't really talking."

    "What's wrong with you?" 

    Normally I would have taken offence, but the concern in her voice stopped me because I knew her harshness came from a place of care.

    "I'm fine."

    She gave me a flat look. "Really?"

    I nodded. "Positive."

    She sighed. "Dani..."

    "I promise I'm fine," I assured her.

    Amber looked like she wanted to say something more, but thankfully the cheering got louder and she stopped herself. The host stepped onto the middle of the field, a microphone in his hand.

    "Good evening, ladies and gents," he said enthusiastically.  "Are you ready for tonight's game?"

   Usually, I liked nothing more than to knock the teeth out of excessively perky people, but when it came to lacrosse I let it slide. Someone had to make up for the absence of my family tonight.

   The crowd let out roaring cheers in reply. 

    "As you all know tonight is the semifinals for this year's lacrosse champions! Playing for Stone Creek we have the Stone Creek Rangers!" 

    The school's marching band started playing an upbeat melody as our lacrosse team, led by Brenton, ran onto the field. The audience rose to their feet as they hollered for the local team. With Stone Creek's undefeated last few seasons it was only assumed we'd claim victory today, but the crowd cheered like it was their first game.