"What course are you doing by the way?" she heard his voice again. "Clinical Nutrition And Dietetics." she replied, still typing. "Wow, means you are gonna plan diets?" "Yeah, something like that." "Are you gonna work?" he asks, again. "If my Abbu allows, I would love to." Ruhee replied. Her parents believed it was not necessary for a girl to work. All a woman has to do is take care of her family, and then her husband's family, that's what Ruhee has been taught all her life.

But somewhere deep down she believes that she can work aswell. She would love to work in a hospital for at least a year, to experience how it would feel to take care of patients. She always wanted to do that, and wished her parents would allow. "What if he doesn't?" Aayan asks, cautiously. "Then I'll be married to someone, and will be living as a wife and a mother." she replies, not once wavering from her work. "Oh."

Ruhee clicked on save and leaned back on the bed, and signed. She looked at the wall clock. 7:45pm. She was finay done with her academic works. She kept her laptop down and stretched her body. She looked behind her, on top of the bed, to find Aayan typing on his laptop, while massaging his temple with two fingers. Ruhee frowned.

Does he have a headache?

"Hey Aayan, Time for dinner." she called out, Aayan looked at her and nodded. They went down together for dinner, not before Ruhee tied her hijab. Sahma was already waiting for them at the table. They greeted her and sat down. They began eating. Since Ruhee was all well now, she wanted to cook, but Aayan told her to rest for two more weeks, till then, the Indian Chef, Raees, would cook for them.

They all began eating, making small talks in between. "Ruhee, how was college today?" Sahma asked her, "Very tiring Ammi, I had so much work to do, and still have." Ruhee said with a sign. "And moreover, I have my internal assessment tests staring next week. I am all booked." "Just don't tire yourself too much dear." Sahma says, smiling at her, with worry. Ruhee just nods at her.

"Ammi, I have party to attend next Sunday. It's a appreciation party for all the charity contributors. So I won't be home for dinner then." Aayan says, while eating. "If it's next week, why inform now?" Sahma asks, confused. "Just saying." he replies, "Then why don't you take Ruhee with you?" Sahma says, excited. Ruhee chokes on her meal and starts coughing, Aayan hands her a glass of water and she gulps it down. "Why me?" Ruhee asks, after calming down.

"Because it will be a change for you. You have so much work this week, then tests the next week, after everything is over, you can relax at the party." Sahma said, pointing out. Ruhee thought it over.

She has a point. Well, there is no harm in going.

"Okay then." Ruhee says, smiling. Aayan looks at her, then back to his plate. "We can go dress shopping on Saturday." Sahma says, excited. "Oh no need Ammi, I have plenty of gowns, I can wear one of them." Ruhee says, trying to dodge shopping. Ruhee was not the shopping type. Sure she had her preferences in clothes, but she was not one to go store to store, looking for the perfect dress. "Nonsens. We are going and that's final." Sahma says, ending the conversation. Ruhee signs.

Both mother and son have a way to end a conversation

After the meal, they said their good nights and went to bed. They entered their room and changed into their night wear. Aayan sat on the bed, opening his laptop, Ruhee sat on the floor opening her laptop. She had cleared the floor before dinner, so it was clean. Now all that left was, department work.

Let's begin.

At around 2:15am, Ruhee was finally done. She closed her laptop and looked at Aayan, who had now, kept his laptop aside, and was holding his head. Ruhee frowned and went to stand by the bed. "You okay?" she asked him, softly. He looked at her from his half sitting and laying position and said, "Yeah, just a bit of a headache." he replied, groaning. Ruhee nodded and went into the closet.

When she came back, she had a bottle of hair oil in her hand. "Sit up." she said to him. He looked at her and at the bottle and said, "I am fine. You don't need to bother." he replied. "I said, sit up." she said, more sternly. "No, really, I am fi...Ouch"  Aayan rubbed the back of his head, where Ruhee had just smacked him. "I already have a headache, why'd you hit me?" he asks, rubbing his head, which was now, throbbing.

"Then next time, maybe you'll listen when I say something." she says, giving him a pointed look. Aayan glared at her, but sat up. "Turn around." she said and he did. Aayan's back was now facing Ruhee. Ruhee poured some hair oil in her palms, rubbed them together, and started massaging Aayan's head. At first he felt awkward, but later relaxed. He was feeling so relaxed after ages.

He closed his eyes, and let Ruhee work her hands through his hair. "Does it feel good?" Ruhee asks and he hums in reply. After sometime, Aayan bends his head back, to look up at Ruhee, who was now staring at his face. He held a pleasant smile on his lips, and a relaxed expression, as he looked up at her. "Thanks" he said in a soft voice. Ruhee gulped as she stared at his face, "No problem." came her meek rushed voice as she looked away, picking up the bottle and running into the closet, closing it behind her.

Her heart was beating fast and she felt hot. She fanned herself to calm down.

Why is it so hot in here?

She slid the door open slowly, and went into the room. She saw Aayan fast asleep. She smiled at him and went to her couch to sleep. She stared at the ceiling. She had no idea why she agreed to go to the party. She told herself, it was for relaxing but she knew the real reason, and it bothered her, as to why that made her feel happy and moreover, why didn't Aayan say anything about her going or not going.

Aayan would go to a party for the first time with a plus one, and that to, with me.