Chapter 9: First thoughts

GALE P.O.V.

I run as fast as I can while carrying Katniss.

She looks so hurt, but I know that it is my responsibility to help Katniss when in the woods.

What else could I have done? I couldn't just leave her lying in the pond to die.
Could I?
No! Why would I? She's my best friend... maybe my only good friend. I'm not talking about a good friend who'll play with you at lunchtime, I'm talking about a good friend like Katniss who'll be there for you for the whole of your life.

She's helped me countless times when I've had a problem. She would always help me walk to her house to make her mother fix me with medications and bandages.

HER MOTHER!

That's it! The perfect doctor is her mother!

I change direction to Katniss's home and try to run faster.

Katniss is so light, so it's easy to carry her.
What else can I do when she's unconscious?

Finally, I reach the door.

KATNISS'S MOTHER P.O.V.
I am sorting out the medicines on the shelf in alphabetical order.
I am being very rudely interrupted by repetitive knocks on the door.

I open the old, wooden door to find that my unconscious, older daughter is being carried by Gale.

I don't know what to think.

Is she dead?

Can she be helped in this state?

What'll Prim think?

Will Prim scream?

But I know that I am her mother and I am her doctor, so I have to be strong.
I can't let worries take over me.

I will be strong.