I learned much about politics while I lived in the palace, for the corruption present there was something I thought was exaggerated. I knew men and women of power always lie, but I expected Zion to be honest with me. He vowed to be loving, to be protective, and be honest when we married. He broke those vows the moment he spoke them.

Is Zion a different man now? He did so much just to get me back, but he also broke his promise to Fiona's coven and I had to make him promise when I finally got my memories back. He kept twisting their deal around to suit him, Fiona's hatred only growing for Zion every day.

I look out to the small stream before me, a few feet wide as the water runs over small stones. My head rests on my paws as I watch the water run, the small currents carrying small sticks by as I watch them for entertainment. Penelope was one of the few Alphas who told me the truth, who was on my side, and warned me of things. Zion has not spoken her name once and it makes me wonder if he did anything to her or her pack. I considered Penelope a friend in the palace, one of the few I could talk with when she would visit.

Pushing off, I begin walking back to the house, my snout picking up the fresh air in the wind as I find myself relaxed. Approaching the familiar tree, I shift back into my human form and change into my clothes, keeping an eye out for Zion as I do not wish to look so vulnerable. I walk back to the house, the house cold and empty as I remember it looked warm and welcoming when Zion first took me here. I spot him in the living room, on his phone as he lounges on the couch.

As I enter the house, I can hear Zion begin to move around in the living room. We have barely spoken since the day I was first able to shift into my wolf. Entering the living room, I stand in the archway of the room, meeting the gaze of the lonely king. "What ever happened to Penelope? You have not spoken her name yet."

Zion seems surprised for me to be speaking with him, his posture straightening as he looks to me. "What do you mean?" Zion asks as I repeat my question again. "She was there at your funeral," Zion trails off, recalling the day he laid me to rest. "Her and her mate were both there...she offered me a chance to talk if I ever needed it. I never took her up on her offer, I didn't want to be reminded of the life you lived in the palace, the friends you made, the moments you created, and I remember the night I almost threw myself from the tallest tower." Zion's words are filled with pain as he recalls those days of the past. "It was Penelope who told me to step down as Alpha King, for I was not well, barely did any of my duties, and was losing myself. I called her a disgrace for suggesting I just toss away my crown...but she was right."

"You did more than call her a disgrace, didn't you?" I ask, remembering the strong and stubborn Alpha that Penelope has always been. "She would not back down from those words."

"I ordered my guards to throw her out of the palace, that I did not want to see her ever step foot in the palace again. I called her a disgrace not only for suggesting I step down, but I also attacked her on the part that she mated with a human."

He disrespect Penelope and her mate, something I have always known to never do. "I always knew that when people harassed her over her human mate, that is where they would strike a nerve. That day, her Alpha King called her a disgrace before members of the Senate for mating with a human...something I do not think she could ever forgive me for." Looking outside, Zion tries to avert his gaze from mine. "She screamed at me as she was tossed outside the palace that I should recognize that you were dead and I need to move on, that grieving forever will never make life happy again. Her words made me wonder if I could bring you back to life."

"Is she still someone we could not trust to offer protection?" I ask, thinking practically with our ties to Penelope. "You may have burned some of the bridge you had with her, but she respected me and I doubt she would turn us away if I was to talk with her."