She didn't know if Gally would be punished for this, if he ended up being stung by a Griever, Florence was sure that would be punishment enough.

"Is he gonna be punished?" She asked their leader fearfully, and Alby exhaled.

"I don't know. Let's just concentrate on getting him out of here first."

"This is my fault." She mumbled under her breath, but her words were caught by Alby. He was beyond confused by it.

"Your fault? In no shucking way is it your fault Florence. Don't you dare think that." His tone came off harsh and Florence felt herself swallow the lump in her throat.

They ran silently for a moment before Alby glanced around a corridor and immediately halted to a stop. Grabbing the girl's arm, he yanked her backwards so her back was flat against the Maze wall just like his own.

"Alby-"

"Don't make a sound. Look, very carefully." 

And so she did.

Glancing over his shoulder, she caught sight of the Griever creeping up the corridor to Gally where he was stood frozen to the spot. Florence's heart lurched. Despite the fact she had run the Maze a few times now, she had not once seen a Griever up close. 

It was terrifying.

Gally whimpered when he saw it, but it was too late for him to turn and run. Alby's grip on Florence's arm prevented her from moving to help Gally, not that she would even be able to do anything about it.

The creature grabbed Gally with its arm and Florence felt her breath quickening in fear for him, and Alby's eyes widened in terror also. He was thrown against the wall, and as quickly as he had been grabbed, the Griever had stung him.

Florence was forbidden from moving, thanks to her leader who was doing it for her own safety, so she watched helplessly as the Griever dropped the boy and began scuttling down the corridor away from them. As soon as it disappeared, Alby released her and they ran over to Gally's limp body.

"Shuck, Alby. What are we gonna do?"

He bent down to the unconscious boy, hauling his arm over his shoulder and heaving him up from the floor. Florence rushed forwards and threw Gally's other arm over her shoulder, her legs not prepared to carry his weight.

She stumbled, and ignored Alby's glare as they began to half jog and half walk back towards the Glade. Although the Griever had taken off in the opposite direction, it could come back at anytime, and they were defenceless and certainly weaker thanks to an unconscious Gally.

When they neared the Glade, they could see the group of boys awaiting their arrival. Florence's breath was quickening with every step they took, Gally's weight clearly too much for her to bear. But they were nearly there. 

Only a few more steps...

When they finally stepped into the Glade, a group of boys rushed forwards to help them with Gally. Florence felt her arms lighten as she let go of the boy, but she moved towards Clint and Jeff who immediately looked stressed out.

"Where do you want me?" She asked the Med-jack Keeper, whose eyes softened upon seeing the exhausted girl. He patted her arm reassuringly as he fell into step with the other boys helping to carry Gally.

"Go sort out the Gladers or whatever then meet us in the hut. No rush, seriously!"

'Oh no rush, Florence. It's not like Gally's been stung or anything!'

Sometimes I wonder if they really trust me in the Med room.

She couldn't help but feel a little disappointed about missing out on Clint and Jeff injecting Gally with the serum, and dealing with his sting - as guilty as that made her feel - but she obeyed him.