"You've still got time to live up to that name." I send him a big teasing grin, before settling on the grass below the tree. I pull my cardigan closer around my shoulders. I hadn't expected to find myself outside when I got dressed for the day. Though the winters are warmer in the upper-sectors, when the breeze catches the cold, it'll send icey shivers straight down your spine.

Suddenly, I feel a warmth drape around my shoulders and I look up to see my mystery man placing his jacket over me. Before I can protest, he silences me with his words. "Please."

"Thank you." I pull the second covering around me and relish the heat that is emitting from it. "Are you sure? Aren't you cold?"

"I'm fine. I'm used to it." His smile is reassuring though it does little to ease the guilt. For a moment, I lose myself in his deep blue and hazel eyes.

"Anyways, let's talk about you today," I say and notice the uncomfortable look that crosses his features, but he doesn't say anything in protest. "Tell me about your job here at the palace."

"It's not that interesting." He rubs the back of his neck and ends his statement as if that were the only answer I'm getting. I narrow my eyes and raise my eyebrow. I'm not sure if my intimidation tactics actually work, but he finally cracks with a sigh. "You're stubborn aren't you?"

"Very." I shrug. "It's not every day I get to talk to an upper-sector who isn't faking everything. Plus, I'm curious about how the royals treat the staff."

"Why do you care about the staff?"

"Why wouldn't I? They're people too." I click my tongue. "I wanna know if they treat everyone like dirt or just the lower-sectors."

"Right." He pauses to mull over my sentence before continuing, "Well, I do lots of odd jobs. Every day is different. Some tasks, I do myself; others, I shadow the, um, senior workers. I attend a lot of networking events and help manage a team of people. Sometimes I work in the palace, but not always."

"Sounds like a very proper job." I nod in satisfaction. "Your clothes finally make sense."

He looks down as if just realising that he isn't dressed in any of the palace uniforms.

"You're sharp." He looks away as he chuckles. "No wonder you were doubting me."

"Well thank you for being honest," I say and his eyes return to mine but they seem unsettled. Like he's forcing himself to look at me as he nods. Well, I didn't think I was that ugly.

"So, what do you think of love?" My cheeks blaze at his sudden question. He notices my startled expression and chuckles. "Since you spoke a lot about it last time."

"Oh." I pause to fan myself. "Well, I want to fall in love and have it be real. None of the forced romantic atmosphere they're surely going to create for The Choosing. I'm so hopeless that I'm scared I'll fall for it and get my heartbroken." But I can't get it broken if I don't give it away in the first place.

"I'm sure he wouldn't break your heart if you gave him a chance."

"Then he'd have to break everyone else's. It's a little cruel, don't you think?." I lick my lips.

To my disappointment, he is interrupted by his phone before he can answer. He excuses himself and stands up, walking a couple of paces away from me.

"Yes, what is it?" He addresses the other person on the line then pauses to listen. Shock soon invades his face and his eyes find the fancy watch that clings to his wrist. "My apologies, I lost track of time. I'll be right there." He hangs up then turns to me. "I'm sorry, I have to go."

I stand up to give him his jacket, but he reaches out to stop me.

"No, keep it," he says with a smile. Before I can open my mouth in protest, he continues, "Yes, I'm sure."

"Thank you."

"Anytime, Princess." He kisses the back of my hand then scurries off down the hill and inside the palace. It isn't until I've watched him disappear, that I realise I have no other business being in the garden.

Damn, I could've walked with him if his mere presence hadn't disturbed the basic functionally of my brain.

"Pull yourself together, Ally," I mumble to myself as I head inside to finish my balloon arch. My preoccupied thoughts drag out the simple task, and I find myself taking much longer than I expected.

I quickly set up the arch at the ballroom entrance, then make a dash towards my room. As I set my feet to autopilot, I pull out the ring and dance it around my fingers - examining its beauty in detail. I am pulled under its spell. But it's soon shattered when I hear footsteps scattering towards me.

"Ally! There you are! It's time to get ready!" I turn my head to look down the opposite corridor to find Lois heaving as she stops to rest at my station. "Come on!" She takes me by the arm and hauls me through the corridors. Her grip is so tight, I would believe she was a wrestler in her past life.

Time to get ready for the ball.

♕♛♕

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!

All my love,

Anneka Rose xxx

Copyright © 2020 Anneka Rose