⚜ TEN ⚜

Edited

---(Name this line?)---

I walk through the darkness. It's never-ending. I walk like I'm treading on air. I stop when I see a figure dressed in white standing before me. I shout to them, but my voice carries no sound. I shout again. But nothing. I try to reach out but I find myself behind an invisible wall. I bang on it, but they still don't notice. Every time my fist collides with the barrier, a wave of pain grips my head. I beat the wall until my vision is blackened by pain. Just before it consumes me whole, the figure turns around. It's my father. He smiles and waves to me as I fall into the darkness.

I wake up in an unfamiliar room as my eyes crack open. They scan my surroundings, adjusting as I remember that I'm in the palace. I rub my eyes, and pull the sheets off me, swinging my legs out of the bed to stand up. Heading into the bathroom, I take a quick shower and once again use all soaps there, which have been replaced. I walk out of the shower and over to the wall mirror behind the sink as I towel dry my hair. I brush my teeth and re-wash my face. As soon as I exit the bathroom, I find Lois sitting on my bed.

"You're up on time I see," she states the obvious.

"Well, here is your profile." I take the piece of paper from her slim hands and unfold it. There at the top were big capital letters imprinted onto the paper:

ACCEPTED

I don't hide my groan as I look up at Lois. I don't want to stay. Well, at least I don't think so. I'm still bothered by what Luke said - if I were queen, I could put a stop to the suffering of the lower-sectors.

I put the paper down and sit in the dressing chair. Lois immediately jumps up to get to work on my hair. I sit there with a frown, playing with my fingers.

Lois must notice the look on my face because she says, "You should be grateful. This is a great opportunity."

"She's right." I hear a familiar male voice chip in. Luke enters the room and makes a beeline for 'his' chair in the corner of the room. "You should see the girls that have been rejected. It's a mess downstairs."

I don't say anything. I'm still deciding if I should take this a little more seriously. I don't want to pass up the opportunity to possibly help my people, but at the same time, I'd have to be married to a royal prick for the rest of my life.

I shake my head. What am I thinking? There's no way they'd allow an XI to sit on the throne. We're only forced to be here for their entertainment and so they can be seen to be 'fair'.

Well, I'm not having it. Nope.

"Well, one of them can have my spot," I grumble and cross my arms. "I'm not really feeling being in a loveless marriage where my only job is to be a pretty face."

Luke sighs, picking up on the fact that his little comment last night did little to change my attitude. Lois frowns and I know that she is at a loss for words. I roll my eyes and sag into the chair. The room is silent but I'm sure they both know where I'm coming from.

In an attempt to lift the heavy atmosphere, I speak up again. "So, what am I wearing today?"

I give Lois a small smile and she motions for me to look at the bed. There's a pair of white jeans, a cold shoulder brown top and a pair of black converse. There's also a jacket, but I find that it's too warm for it inside the palace, even though it's winter. I bet it's nice to be so privileged.

I swiftly change in the bathroom and when I exit, Luke is standing there, ready to take me down to breakfast. As he leads me through the palace, I decide to strike up a conversation.