⚜ THIRTEEN ⚜

Unedited. 

---(Name this line?)---

The next day, I find myself swept into the madness of the day's event. Apparently, it's not just dinner and a party - the media will be conducting interviews. I sigh to myself as I think of all the synthetic smiles I'll have to produce later on. But for now, I'm helping to put up the remaining decorations in the event hall.

I sit in front of the window as I mindlessly blow up grand gold balloons. My eyes are glued to the lone tree outside. I feel bad for running away from him like that. I should apologise if I see him again. But do I want to see him again? I feel myself developing a little crush, which is the last thing I need right now.

I snap myself out of my thoughts as I start to tie the packets of air onto a string. It's not looking too shabby considering this is my first time making a balloon arch. I smile to myself as my nimble fingers get to work.

But it doesn't take long before I'm distracted. I catch movement outside and my eyes are instantly drawn to the small figure walking up the hill with their hands in their pockets.

It's him.

I frown as I watch him drag his feet then sit under the tree. His shoulders are sagged and his hands are constantly running themselves through his hair. I twist my mouth as I debate whether to go outside and see him. Maybe that's his special spot and he just wants to be left alone. I am the one who gatecrashed on his space.

But I also owe him an apology. I feel awful for leaving so suddenly. Plus... I just want to see him. Urgh.

Before I can rationalise with myself any further, I spring to my feet and bolt out of the hall. It doesn't take me long to find myself standing feet in front of him. He hasn't noticed me yet, though. His face is buried in his hands as he takes deep breaths. I can't tell if he's sleeping or just deep thinking.

Smiling, I decide to scare him. Hopefully, he'll see the funny side. I make my way around to the other side of the tree and behind him. Crouching down to hide myself, I reach out a hand to tap him on the shoulder before hastily drawing my hand back to my sides.

"Who's there?" he asks as he shoots up from his spot. I can't see him, but I hold back a laugh as I picture his face. "I order you to show yourself."

Oh, throwing orders, is he? He must think very highly of himself. But despite that, I stay hidden.

I hear him shuffling around the tree and I move accordingly, staying out of sight. His pace picks up and so does mine as we move in circles around the tree. A slight gasp escapes my lips when I feel strong arms engulf my waist.

"Got ya." A hot whisper caresses my ear and I giggle in the warmth that's trapped me.

I turn around and smile innocently up at him, before saying, "Boo."

"Boo, yourself." He chuckles and pulls me closer to him, rousing the blood in my cheeks. "I thought I was the one who scared you. I didn't think you'd come back."

I look away in guilt as my voice carries my reply. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left like that." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear as his eyes prompt me for an answer. "It's just that I tell you things and confide in you almost. You're an upper-sector, one of the people that I've always seen as the enemy, and that scares me. I feel like I've betrayed myself by trusting in you when I don't even know who you are. So I ran." I sigh. "I don't know why, but I can't picture you as the upper-sector villain. I just feel like I can talk to you, you know?"

"It's nice to have someone whom you can speak so openly with." He smiles and rests his forehead against mine. "Believe me, I understand that more than anyone." He pauses for a moment, to let out a small breath of air. "And I'm honoured that you see more than a villainous upper-sector in me." He laughs, it's boyish and genuine. I lightly hit his chest and step out of his hold.