6: Finding a way out

"Hey, morning." A voice says.

"Morning, Tom." I sigh as he takes a seat across from me.

"Are you okay? How are you feeling?" Thomas asks as Chuck also makes his way over us.

"I'm fine. I feel better than yesterday." I say, taking a bite of my eggs.

"That's good. So, today's the day. You're a runner." Thomas grins.

"Yeah, whoo-hoo." I remark, now taking a bite of my bacon.

"Why so glum? It was your life's mission to be a runner. Literally." He says and Chuck eats his toast.

"I know and it still is. But, yesterday Newt told me he only made me a runner because that's what I wanted. He was basically implying that he didn't believe in me." I say. "And do any of you guys think I'm doing this to piss off Gally?" I ask.

"Maybe." Chuck admits and Thomas looks a little anxious to answer.

"Yeah, you may be right. But I'm also doing this because I wanna get you guys the hell out of here. I don't know why Gally's always on my dick. And I assure you that I don't have one." I say and Chuck snorts while Thomas stifles a laugh.

"Look, we know Gally can be-"

"A fucking asshole?" I say, finishing his sentence and Thomas chuckles.

"I was gonna say uptight. But that works, too." He. nods. "So, what time do you leave?" He asks me.

"Whenever Minho says we leave. He's the Keeper, and I think he's a really good one. I just still can't believe Newt." I sigh, looking down at my plate.

"Hey, I'm sure he does believe in you. After him and Gally's argument, he probably just started saying things he didn't mean. He was pretty heated with Gally yesterday, if you couldn't tell."

"Yeah, I know. He was twice the asshole to me than Gally was. And that's saying a lot." I say, twirling my fork around.

"Look, are you sure wanna do this? Going into the maze isn't the same as doing one in a coloring book. You're putting your life on the line, Alana." Thomas says and I look up at him.

"Yes, I'm sure." I nod. "Like I said, I wanna get you guys out of here. But if I don't make it back, just know that I tried and I'm sorry." I say.

"Alana, don't say that. You will make it back, I just want you to be careful." Thomas says.

"You can't guarantee that I'll make it back. But I'm just saying if I don't." I say.

"Stop talking like that. It sounds and is a pile of klunk. You're the strongest and only girl I know. You will make it back." Chuck says and I sigh, leaning my arms on the table.

"Thanks, Chuck. And maybe I shouldn't of said those things to Newt. Ugh, my god." I groan, leaning my right palm against my cheek.

"See, you both fucked up." Thomas says and I sigh once again.

"Alana, did you sleep last night?" Chuck asks.

"Why do you ask?" I say.

"You look really tired. And I heard you mumbling in your sleep. And you also paced around for hours." He tells me.

"Why were you up, Chuck?" I say.

"I asked you first." He pouts and I sigh.

"Fine, I didn't sleep, okay? I couldn't. I'm just a little on edge." I mutter, suddenly losing my appetite.

"C'mon, Alana. You can't go out there with zero hours of sleep under your shucking belt." Thomas sighs.

"Watch me." I state. "Like I said, I'm fine." I tell him and he just gives me a blank look.