Fifty Eight

Chapter Fifty Eight:

"I didn't think you were serious."

Malcolm strutted out of his room, a navy blue track suit sat on his frame. He wore a black athletic long sleeve under the jacket, having it half zipped up.

"Looks nice, huh?" He spun, placing his hands on his hips before posing.

"Are you alright?" She walked over to him, "You're being weird."

He frowned, "Weird?"

Theodora paused, it was probably nothing. "Never mind. You called him, right?"

"Yes. And, if we don't leave soon I'll be late."

She followed him as he headed for the stairs that would lead to the door, "Where am I supposed to be during all of this?"

"You go in first, ask about classes. I'll come in when my lesson starts." Malcolm explained as they exited outside, "I'll come in and be all cocky, and he will say something to try to knock me down, verbally, of course— he might even ask if you want to watch the lesson with the sole purpose of beating me in front of someone else."

"You thought this through."

"I always do."

Theodora rolled her eyes, "How do you know it's gonna play out like that?"

"I just do."

She snorted, studying him as they walked. "Short with answers today, are we?"

Malcolm shrugged, searching the streets for a stray taxi.

"Tell me what's wrong." Theodora said, knowing full well that something was up. She could always tell when he was upset or had something bugging him, despite his years of training to hide his emotions, he could never get passed her. "And don't lie and say you're fine."

"I told you to stop worrying about me."

"I can't just stop caring, Malcolm." She told him, "No matter how many times you tell me too."

He sighed, "I know."

"So what's the deal. You've been off ever since you went off with Gil after finding the body."

"We went to his house. Talked with Crystal and met their child." Malcolm said, "Peter."

Theodora pursed her lips, mind sorting through possible outcomes of that meeting. "You like the kid, don't you."

"Pardon?"

"No, wait." She shook her head, "His dad is gone and he's left with his mom— you mentioned before that he was quiet... he reminds you of yourself."

Malcolm raised a dark brow, "You're getting better at this. You're welcome, for that."

"Whatever. Tell me what's up."

He opened his mouth but quickly shut it, looking everywhere but her. "Can we talk about it later?"

That meant never, Theodora knew this. But if he wasn't comfortable talking about it now, she wouldn't push him anymore. He would eventually tell her, when he was ready.

"So I'm going in first?" She changed the topic, staring straight ahead.

"Yes."

Theodora nodded, "Is this supposed to be a private lesson?"

"I guess."

When they finally arrived at their destination, Malcolm rushed to the other side of the building which was one of the three walls to an alley way.