Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four:

They parked two blocks away, hoping to avoid any suspicion from on goers. Theodora had to stop JT and remove his badge from around his neck, making him put it in his pocket.

"Maybe it's not Malcolm and I who are the idiots, maybe it's you." Theodora smiled at him, "If you look at the facts—"

"We, like, just met."

She shrugged, "And? I stand by my points."

Malcolm stuck his hand out, causing Theodora to stop. She gazed forward, piles of flowers, photos and teddy bears lined the street. Girls cried in huddles while others silently added to the memorial before turning away. A man made his way down the line, a camera snapping pictures as he kept taking breaks, frowning down.

"Who are we looking for?"

"Someone who is out of place. Their guilt is just for appearance." Malcolm glanced at JT, "So, nobody who came in a group. We're looking for a loner, someone who's doing their best not to be noticed. There's also a decent chance the person wants to document the experience."

JT's expression shifted to something of sorrow as he looked out at the burning candles and flowers, Theodora looked up at him with furrowed brows. "You knew her, didn't you? Not personally, but you met her."

He glared down, "Huh?"

Malcolm nodded, leaning back. "You weren't just a fan, were you?"

JT looked between them, "I don't like that you're both the same person. Stop turning your creepy profile vision on me."

"Back home, maybe?"

He huffed, staring at Malcolm with a response. Malcolm's lips parted, "She was a USO entertainer?"

JT crossed his arms, "They fly them in between fighting seasons, it was nice, decent jokes... shake hands with a famous person. Said three words to her— thanks for coming. Her smile kept me going for months, man."

Theodora frowned, watching the crowd again. Eyes finding their way back to that man with the camera, moving down the crowd towards them.

"We'll find the person who did this." Malcolm placed a bandaged hand on the other man's shoulder. JT turned and glared down at him, "Can you not touch me with your shifty bandage hand?"

Theodora snickered, "Do you see the guy with the camera? He seems odd."

"A loner." JT nodded.

"Huh." Malcolm muttered, "Solid. Good spot."

JT's hands fell to his sides, "I'm pretty sure I saw him on Tatiana's freak stack."

Theodora broke from them first, making her way over, walking into him before stumbling around. "I'm sorry." She turned and faced him, the man only nodded slowly, continuing on his way. A few seconds later she heard the zoom of a camera and she spun, the lens pointing at her face. He stumbled back, a few steps past both JT and Malcolm.

JT called him out first, "Hey man, got a second?"

The man leaped back, breaking out into a run. "Hey, yo! Stop!" JT yelled, pulling out his gun.

Theodora rushed forward, skipping by both men before full on running across the street. There was a reason she only ever wore sneakers.

"Hey!" Theodora yelled, causing the man to glance back for a quick second as he tripped on the curb. She lunged, tackling him into a dozen trash bags on the corner of the street. His camera went flying, and she scrambled to her feet. Malcolm skidded the cement and snatched the device holding it up in the air away from the owner. "Ooo, nice camera!"

"Give it back."

"I told you to stop." JT huffed, "You heard me."

"It's a public memorial. I have every right to be here. You can't arrest me for that."

Malcolm nodded, "Yeah, you had to be here. Had to be apart of it."

"Did you take my picture?"

"What?" The man questioned, eyes glued to the camera.

"When I ran into you?"

"Yes." Malcolm called out. She walked over to him and looked down at the small screen, her face caught between a smile and a firm line. "That's some good camera quality. Hey, I actually look kinda good—"

"Theo."

"What?" Her gaze flickered to the scene in front of her, her mouth formed an 'o' shape. "Oh, yah. You sir, are very creepy."

She watched as he deleted it, then a screen popped up saying Locked.

"Damn, it's locked." He dropped the camera, catching it by the strap. "It would be a shame if I—"

"Hey! Be careful!" The man reached out a hand, only for Malcolm to grab it by the lens.

"He's real finicky." JT told him.

"Yeah." He agreed, hand shaking wildly. "I have a shaky hand. I got it from my dad."

JT sauntered over, "Do you want me to take it from him and keep it safe? I can keep it safe for ya, if you come to the station. All we wanna do is talk."

Malcolm began tossing it between both hands, the man watched with a worried expression. "Okay! Fine, I'll go. Get my camera from him, please."

JT gently took the camera, earning a smile from Malcolm. "Nice work, partner."

He glared, "Let's not call each other that, ok?"

The man stepped forward to retrieve his camera, Theodora stepped between them. "Not quite yet." She glanced at JT, "Are we supposed to cuff him or...?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Grab his hands."

"Nope, don't think so." Theodora stepped away, "He creeps me out. I'm not touching him."

A huff, "Move."

She found herself next to Malcolm, she rose to her tip toes and nudged his arm. "You okay?"

"Never better."

Theodora rolled her eyes, "Were you actually going to break his camera?"

He looked down at her, "No." Then a pause, "Until I saw he actually snapped a picture of you."

She snorted, "You're an—"

"Idiot. I'm aware."

Theodora laughed, walking forward. JT dragged the guy with him, towards his car parked two blocks away. A hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, "Don't walk in front of him."

"He doesn't have a camera."

"So?"

"He can still look at you."

"Damn." She glanced at Malcolm, "You're very strict when it comes to my personal choice of actions."

Malcolm sighed, "Fine, go walk in front of the creepy man."

"I can hear you." A voice called, followed by JT's snort.

"No." Theodora linked arms with Malcolm, "I think I'll stay back here with you."

He smiled, "I'm honoured."

Theodora nodded, his hand beginning to shake slightly against her arm. "Are you sure you're okay?" She questioned.

A nod.

Theodora knew he wasn't. The shaky hand told otherwise.