Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen:

Theodora woke up with a start, something warm dripping down her face. She gasped, shaking her head. Her mother's face flashing before her eyes.

How could she forget?

She was so caught up amongst other things, the knowledge of her mother's bones being found seemingly escaped her mind. How terrible of a daughter was she?

Theodora wiped her eyes, clanging from the kitchen snapping her out of her mind. Though, she knew her plans for the day, that dream solidifying it.

"Breakfast!" Malcolm's voice yelled, and Theodora slid off the mattress and raced to the kitchen. Her friend gave her a smile and pointed at eggs which fried on a pan. "I knew— what's wrong?"

He looked over at her, "Theo—"

"I've got to go." She said, running down the stairs and out of the apartment. She was going to the sight where her mother was found, it wasn't two far from here. Just a few towns over. She needed to see it for herself, and she hated how she hadn't done it sooner. Malcolm had told her not to, but his opinion wasn't the best. He'd been going back to his father, who was alive and also a serial killer. She was just going to a sight, her mother wouldn't be there to greet her.

Theodora ran down the street, finding a parked taxi on the side of the road. She fumbled into the backseat, "Tumbley Woods."

"That's two—"

"I know. Add it to my card." She said, buckling up. The car sped out onto the street, almost as if the man sensed her need to be quick.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, she slipped it out to see Malcolm's name flash on the screen. She watched it until it went black, showing her reflection.

She looked horrible. Her curled hair looked limp and in tangles, the makeup she had worn was now almost complete gone save for the mascara that found itself under her eyes adding to the dark bags. She huffed as his name flashed once again, turning the device off.

Almost an hour later the taxi pulled onto the side of the street, a few miles back as police tape still surrounded the scene. She hopped out, charging underneath and towards the tree line. No police remained, as if they all went out on lunch break. Or left because there was nothing left to see.

Theodora stepped through an opening, footsteps etched into the dirt, creating a path to follow.

The trees casted a glow of sunlight onto the ground, illuminating the brown of the wood and dirt, turning it a golden colour. Theodora slowed down, looking around. It was a beautiful place. Now tainted with something horrible.

More police tape appeared, and beyond it a deep hole dug into the ground. She stopped, staring from the distance. A shovel lay discarded, with rolls of caution tape beside it.

It really did seem as if the police and detectives just got up and left, deeming the case not worth their time.

Another step forward. She could see the back of the dirt wall, it was quite a big hole. A breeze ruffled her hair, like a cold echo brushing her face.

It was broad daylight, but being there seemed creepy. Off, as if she wasn't meant to be here. That she wouldn't like what she'd find.

She was on the edge of the hole now, square in shape and about six feet deep. They wanted to make sure nobody would find her. Just a shadow, no longer known by anyone.

Theodora looked around, the emptiness of the forest settling over top of her like a weight. She jumped in taking a shuttering breath.

This was where her mother had been since she was a little girl. Buried, silenced forever.