Chapter 26

Meliorn's POV

The queen had handed him a vail of hexafluorosilicic acid. It was the most toxic substance known to humankind, even the smallest bit spilled on the skin could kill a full-grown adult. (A/N Don't look that up. It's probably not true.) She had told him to feed it to the unconscious warlock that lay on the infirmary bed. 

He knew that the warlock in front of him was Alec Lightwood's boyfriend. And he also knew Isabelle would never forgive him if he killed him. 

Magnus Bane, once the High Warlock of Brooklyn, did not deserve to be poisoned in his sleep. 

"What are you waiting for?" Zanna, another Seelie, asked. "Hurry up and poison him already. Queens orders."

Meliorn swallowed. He did not want to kill him. But if he disobeyed the queen, she would have his head on a silver platter. 

He carefully screwed the cap off of the tiny bottle containing the poison, removing the oxygen mask from Magnus's face. 

Meliorn held the open bottle over his mouth, about to flip it so the contents would spill into the warlock's slightly parted lips. 

"I can't." He finally said, pulling away from him. 

"Give me that," Zanna tried to grab the bottle from his hands, but instead he dropped it. It shattered on the ground, the acid splashing onto Zanna's legs. She screamed in pain. The acid was capable of killing someone by just touching them. In minutes, she was dead. Meliorn kicked off his boots, which had gotten some of the poison on them. He turned back to Magnus. He didn't hate him, and he certainly didn't wish for his death. 

Angelic power is deep, but there was one thing that could reverse it. One thing that only the Seelie's were capable of doing. But from the looks of it, Magnus didn't have much time left. His skin was pale, his forehead sweating. His eyes were clenched shut, and his breathing was getting more and more shallow with every breath he took. Meliorn stuck the oxygen mask back on his face and ran from the room. If he wanted to save him, he better be quick. 

Alec's POV

He had no idea what he was doing. It was like he wasn't in control of his own actions. He was spinning so fast that he couldn't even see the demons he was fighting. Unfortunately, every time he killed one, more would take their place. 

He was vaguely aware of Clary laying on the floor, her forehead a bloody mess, and Jace and Isabelle stood back to back fighting off any demon that came near them. Robert somewhere off to Alec's left, also slicing at anything he could. 

But his heart stopped when he saw two people enter the room. Two people who he would protect with his life. Two people who should not be here.

He did a double-take looking at the two children who had just entered the room, earning a demon claw ripping the flesh of his forearm. 

Max and Madzie stared in horror at the scene unfolding before them. 

"Max! Take Madzie and get out of here! Go find mom and stay with her!" Alec yelled.

That got Isabelle's attention really fast. She mumbled something to Jace and ran over to them.

That's when Alec spotted Jonathan. 

"Izzy! Watch out!" He screamed, seconds after the demon blooded boy knocked her to the ground. 

Alec tried to get to them, but he was surrounded. He froze, the demons around him momentarily forgotten as Jonathan approached the two young children. Madzie waved her hand and a ball of red magic shot from it, hitting Jonathan in the chest, hard. He only stumbled. Madzie's attack had only made him angry. Alec decided he didn't care about the demons anymore. He pushed through the crowd of them, ignoring the claws and teeth ripping his skin, the needle-like tails, and other things stabbing him.