Chapter I

The pained voices of the crowd cried out, "No justice, no peace!" whilst leading a long trail of protesters for blocks on end. The setting sun released unforgiving rays of heat onto the masses, as summer was steadily approaching. Sweat drops loosely trickled down the base of your neck as you trudged on, keeping a grip on your backpack strap that was slung over your shoulder and lifting your sign for the world to see.

'ACAB! FUCK THE POLICE! SAY THEIR NAMES OR FEEL OUR PAIN!'

Your steps synchronized with the several other bodies around around you, a mixed palette of beautiful deep browns, olives, tans, and fair skin tones flooding the street. Since the recent deaths of several different black citizens, the wounded black and brown communities refused to stay silent any longer, taking to the streets to voice their anguish and their need for change. Protests from state to state sprung into action, gathering large masses of people, just like the event you were attending, to let the world know that it was their time to fight back. The revolution starts now, and doesn't wait for anyone.

"Say his name!"

"George Floyd!"

"Say her name!"

"Breonna Taylor!"

Chants were led throughout the streets, with the crowd powerfully responding back to the lead voices. You pumped a closed fist into the air, holding your sign to your chest whilst keeping up with the pace of the crowd.

You attended this protest alone, despite your parents fretfully warning you about the increased aggression from the police, and unfortunately, their failure to see the importance of needing to take your voice to the streets and fight for what was right. Even though you wanted to attend the protest with a group, you quickly realized that some of your friends didn't take these events to heart, believing that the deaths of innocent black people were "just regular deaths." Their indifference inspired a sickening rage within you, like a punch to the gut. You lashed out at them, quickly educating them about their privilege, especially if they were in a place where they didn't have to fear for their life simply because of the color of their skin. If you didn't have their support, fuck it, you'd rely on your own self for support.

You packed a small backpack full of basic essentials for a long, long march. Besides the face mask and gloves you were already wearing, courtesy of COVID-19, it contained a large reusable water bottle, a few snack bars, goggles for tear gas, and a light change of clothes just in case you needed to avoid identification from the pigs. Gauze, bandages, and disinfectant were packed safely in there as well, because you aimed to help as many people as you could with your knowledge of medicine.

The crowd continued to walk on for several more minutes until reaching a blocked off area protected by a gross swarm of cop cars, and officers on attention with batons, gas, shields, and other weaponry ready.

'This is a damn street that anyone could walk through! Who are they to block it off?' You angrily thought. The masses of people surrounding the barricade seemingly agreed, with people already trying to kick it down. The large population settled around that area, ready to face the police head on, chanting and yelling at the cowardly cops in front. As more people approached the barricade, the police tightened up into a single file in front of the metal barricades with batons in hand.

You maneuvered your way to the front of the crowd, the police officers coming closer and closer into your line of site. Although the majority of them had helmets with shades covering the top half of their faces, expressions of disgust and anticipation were clearly shown. With your sign in hand you slowly approached them, an officer immediately catching your eye contact and gripping his baton.

"Fuck 12," You seethed, holding your sign to your chest and walking closer and closer to the officer until you reached at least a few feet away from his. No, you weren't going to knock the lights out of him, even though you really, really wanted to. You stood in solidarity with similar protesters, and let your sign speak for you.