| 26 |

CA: TWS

26

2014, the same day.

"MY NAME IS BUCKY."

". . .So there was a place called Coney Island, and well, Coney Island is a place with roller coasters and cool rides."

". . .And, well, roller coasters look like this."

"Steve and I were eating ice cream and cotton candy, when we saw one of the roller coasters called the Cyclone. Steve insisted we shouldn't go because we ate so much food."

". . .and Steve started throwing up as soon as we got off the rollercoaster. I felt so bad because I couldn't stop laughing at him."

"You don't deserve to."

"You said you'd leave her alone."

"Promise you'll be okay."

"Promise."

Angelika could almost hear Bucky's soft yet hoarse voice in her ear. She could feel his kind hands, and she could smell the strong stench of his blood. She could taste the cold air of their old cell- as if she had been thrown back in time.

Tears threatened to spill as she thought about the old Bucky, the one she knew would never be able to return.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" The Winter Soldier replied with pained eyes.

Angelika's heart shattered.

He didn't remember his name!

She clutched his tactical pants tightly.

The Winter Soldier clenched his jaw as his mind tore itself into pieces, unbearable pain flickering across his forehead. He would've used his target's distraction as an advantage, but he was just as confused.

Did the man know him?

Why did Bucky sound familiar?

Was Bucky even a person?

Was Bucky an object?

What was a Bucky?

Questions whirled around his head, questions he would not have answers too. He steadied his gun, pointing it at his target- no- why did the man look so familiar?

A flash of images and memories whirled in his head. He tried his best to ignore them as his finger tugged on the trigger. Before he could end the man's life a literal bird flew out of nowhere, kicking the soldier to the ground.

"BIRDIE!" Angelika screamed as the pair went flying.

The soldier grabbed her, keeping her safe as they rolled on the pavement. He was on his feet in seconds with Angelika in one arm.

He looked at the target again and he faltered in raising his gun.

The blue-eyed man looked so desperate it reminded him of somebody he knew.

Somebody who wanted to join the army and shouldn't have done something stupid while he was gone.

The soldier tried to ignore the thought, quickly raising his gun again.

But he was too slow as a grenade was launched his way.

He quickly spun on his feet, shielding Angelika from the blast and disappearing down the street as if they were never there.