| 23 |

CA: TWS

23

2014, at the hospital.

STEVE WAS TRYING TO figure out if he had been hallucinating. He was almost a hundred percent sure the assassin had a child with him- and she couldn't have been older than six or seven.

Somehow the girl seemed completely content in the arms of the man who just killed someone.

Was his brain playing tricks on him?

Or did he really see that?

He didn't know, and he couldn't dwell on the thought much as he watched Director Fury inside the hospital room, doctor's desperately trying to save the old man's life.

Steve wondered if he should've let his shield go flying, instead of catching it. In his moment of distraction the assassin had gotten away, and he blamed himself for that.

He heard footsteps behind him but he didn't turn to look at who it was. He was seriously concerned about Fury's health, and there was a high chance the man wouldn't survive.

He fiddled with the USB drive in his pocket, wondering what could possibly be on it- and why the hell it was so important.

Don't trust anyone.

Steve frowned at the man's words. Out of everything Fury could say, he chose to tell him that. Steve just wished the man had told him who specifically to not trust. . .unless the director didn't know himself.

He wondered how SHIELD could even be compromised. Who would compromise such a strong organization?

"Is he gonna make it?"

Steve didn't even look up at the sound of Natasha's voice.

"I don't know." He admitted.

"Tell me about the shooter." Natasha said quickly and Steve frowned.

"He's fast. Strong." Steve paused, remembering how the moon reflected off the man's arm. "Had a metal arm."

He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, brows furrowed in confusion.

"There was a little girl too. She was holding a-" he said but she cut him off.

"Green fleece blanket." Natasha spoke quietly and Steve nodded.

He had no idea how she knew that, but he didn't have the time to question her as Agent Hill stepped forwards.

"Ballistics." Natasha said firmly.

"Three slugs. No rifling. Completely untraceable." Agent Hill said and Natasha breathed heavily.

"Soviet made." She finished and Agent Hill slowly nodded at her.

"Yeah." She replied, wondering how Natasha knew that.

The heart monitor inside of the room started beeping rapidly and Natasha breathed shakily.

"Don't do this to me Nick."

___________________

Natasha easily remembered the Winter Soldier, along with the little girl- Angie- he had called her. Somehow the little girl knew her. Natasha knew she couldn't have come from the red room, and if she did. . .could she really not remember her?

And was she really the little girl's aunt?

Natasha frowned to herself, looking down at Fury's corpse with regret- and maybe guilt- for not being able to save his life.