Fourteen

Alfred hugged Ivan, tears falling uncontrollably from his eyes. He still couldn't speak, but he could move. And it was all thanks to Ivan. His blue eyes were filled with life once more.

He and Ivan parted, breathing heavily from the sobs that had wracked their bodies. Without realizing, they had both leaned in, but before their lips could meet, Alfred pulled away. He could not deny that he had definitely felt things for Ivan, but his bosses simply wouldn't allow such a relationship. And their friendship...what would happen to that if they began dating?

America knew he wouldn't be able to bear losing Russia as his friend. Ivan looked away, ashamed. "Sorry, Fredka..." Alfred turned his face back to him and shook his head. He motioned to himself. "What do you have to be sorry for?" Russia asked, understanding what America was trying to say.

Alfred swallowed and opened his mouth, attempting to talk again. "I don't want to lose this..." He said in a hoarse and raspy voice. Ivan nodded, understanding. He didn't want to lose the friendship between them either. Plus, Alfred was in too delicate of a state to be dating.

//////

At the world meeting, two days later...

France and England sat in their seats, worry and defeat darkening their features. Now, the room was full. Except for four seats. Prussia, Canada, Russia... And America. They had hoped he would have miraculously gotten better. But they knew such hopes we're probably in vain. Germany was about to ask about the absence of the countries when the door opened.

"Sorry, we're late guys. The flight was a little longer than we thought." Arthur and Francis turned to see familiar blond hair and sky blue eyes. Alfred walked in, covering the bandages on his arms with his sleeves. France and England felt tears well in their eyes. Their son had woken up.

America sat down, a real smile on his face. Ivan looked across the room at him and gave his own. The meeting went on like usual, except no insults were uttered. Alfred felt a little happy. His first meeting without being insulted. He almost wanted to cry, but knowing that would bring on insults, he didn't.

//////

When Alfred arrived back at his familiar home, it didn't seem all that familiar anymore. He had grown used to the Russian's house and company and was tempted to fly back there with Ivan, but something held him back. When he entered his house, he went into the kitchen, making himself some food. He knew he wouldn't be able to finish it all, but he wanted to try. For Ivan.

He was about to start when he heard a knock on his front door. He walked over and unlocked and opened it to see...

Some of the states, Canada, the provinces, England, and France. He was dumbfounded. "What are all of you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" England said with a kind smile, "We're here to help you settle back in" They all came inside and helped Alfred cook. When they were all done, there was a feast prepared for everyone. They moved the food over to the dining room, where everyone sat. America smiled as everyone began to eat. He looked at his plate, which was yet to be stocked with food. They had given him the choice of how much he felt like eating. Everyone looked to him, seeming to want his say-so of when to eat.

He nodded, and everyone dug into the delicious food. This is really making me want to be there with them, but whatever. Alfred put some food on his plate, looking at all the delighted faces of his family.

His soul seemed full. In the span of just a couple of weeks, he had gained everything he had ever wanted. A friend. An apology. Happiness. Everything had finally fallen into place.
.
.
.
.
.
.

But knowing his life and luck, none of those things would last long...

It was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down.

Book 1:
Fin