Timothy couldn't resist. The coin was pressed into his hand, and the man was gone in an instant. For a moment, the child stood, looking amazed at the quick trade he had made. A lost handkerchief for a penny? His heart suddenly filled with joy.

I didn't want no pay, goodness knows, he told himself. I only did it 'cause it was right. But... He smiled down at his coin and tucked it safely into his own pocket. ...I'm awful glad to 'ave it!

He ran back to his post with a laugh, and once again he waited. His heart was all aglow with happiness as he eagerly watched the passersby. He sat there for a very long time. But before he found another person to help, someone else found him.

"What are you doing loitering about?" a peevish voice asked. Tim found himself looking up at a thin, unfriendly looking man with a fine brown suit, polished shoes, and a look of refinement about him.

The lad smiled. "If that's like sulkin', I promise I weren't doin' it," he giggled innocently. "I was just sittin' 'ere finkin' t' meself as 'appily as ever I could! An' I was watchin' t' see if I could 'elp anyone."

The man's eyebrows raised. "Oh, so you like to help people, do you?" he asked.

"Very much, sir! Can I 'elp you?" The child's clear, intelligent eyes stared straight into the man's with a look which rather pleased the fellow.

"Perhaps you can," he answered with a half-smile. "I have just stepped off of the train, and I hear that I will have to wait twenty-five minutes before someone comes to help me with my luggage. If you take as much as you can carry and bear it carefully to the coach, I will give you a penny. Agreed?"

The child's smile grew sweeter. "Ah sir, t'aint much t' ask," he said humbly. "I'd do it wivout the penny, an' I'd do it right gladly too!"

"But I didn't agree to let you handle my luggage for nothing. I offered to pay you a penny. You will take it, or you won't do the job at all. Make up your mind quickly, I am in a hurry."

The man sounded very serious and impatient. It took Timothy aback. But in just a second, he recovered his smile. "Right, sir!" he agreed, bouncing up willingly. "I'll do it for a penny, an' I'll do it quick! Where's yer luggage, sir?"

"It is by the train. But not so fast!" the man said briskly. "Do you think I would hire you without even getting acquainted first?"

Tim cocked his head curiously. "I dunno, sir. What's 'quainted? An' if it ain't heavy, I'm willin' t' bet I can carry it too!"

"Oh, bosh! You don't even know proper English. Do you never go to school?" the man grumbled.

"Ah, sir!" the child laughed. "The likes o' me go t' school? I ain't never been. But I sit on the church's doorstep of a Sunday mornin', an' I learn lots an' lots when I listen t' the minister there! I put every word he says t' memory. Least ways, I try to! Just listen t' this, sir; I learned it this very mornin': 'The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof but canst not tell whence it cometh, and wither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the spirit.' Now that's poetry, sir. Once, I 'eard a lady sayin' nice fings like that, an' I asks her what she was a-sayin', an' she says, 'Why, that's poetry!' So, I know this must be poetry too!"

"For goodness sake, do you always talk this much?" the impatient gentleman asked. "I really haven't the time for it! My name is Charles Hannover. I own an inn and two of the best hotels in town, and I am running late. Now, tell me your name without delay and then help me carry my things."