Taxis Are Unreliable

1

It was the beginning of April when a couple of things happened.

1. I got dumped by my boyfriend, which I’m totally okay with. No, it was all for the best. I mean, I wanted different things, he wanted different things…of course, what he wanted was my long-legged, blonde work colleague at Hollister with the massive breasts (which are totally fake by the way, and you can completely tell she pads them and if I stuffed newspaper in my bra then I might be a double D too, but I have a little more self-respect. Something that those two obviously missed out on. But, seriously, no- I’m not bitter. Zero bitterness. I hope they’re very happy together. I hope they bask in their mutual slutiness and deception).

2. I lost my job. Probably had something to do with scratching the face of a certain long-legged blonde work colleague, but there’s no need for details.

3. I met the Kahn brothers, had possibly the worst day of my life and consequently moved into their house.

Oh yes, you say to yourself as you sit behind your cosy little computer screens. Had the worst day of your life, did you? What? Broke your high heel in a grate? Spilt coffee down your new cashmere sweater? Lost a twenty?

I can sympathize with this naive view.

I never knew me and my new co-unfortunates- the Kahn brothers- would rig up a one point three million pound debt either.

If I had, I would’ve never gotten in the cab that changed my life.

But, seeing as I’ve decided to map it all out like this anyway, I’ll start where it started.

The first of April- the day of fools.

Never has an annual title been more apt.

xxx

Dylan looked at me endearingly over the Starbucks coffee table, brown hair falling into his eyes.

“Look,” He said. “I’m really sorry. I don’t know what else you want me to say.”

“‘I’ll send you monetary compensation for your broken heart? Plus a gift card?’”

“The thing is: it used to be fun. You know: us. But…I feel like we’ve grown apart. You can be too mature for me sometimes.”

“You’re new girlfriend’s twenty-nine with a kid, dude.”

“What I’m saying is that I think I need time to sort out my life.”

I took a sip of coffee. “This much is apparent.”

“God, Evie, why do you have to be so sarcastic all the time?”

I slammed my coffee cup on the table. “You cheated on me in my own bed! Allow me THIS!”

The truth was, and it hurt to say it, but I still kind of had a thing for Dylan. Even after all this.

And not because of his smile. Not because I thought he might change.

But because he was hot.

Seriously.

No, seriously.

You could grate cheese on those abs-

“Evie,”

I looked up quickly. “Mmm?”

“Look, it’s not like I’m gonna throw you out. You can still crash at my place if you want.”

My face flushed a little. The sheer thought of carrying on living (and possibly still paying a portion of the rent) with the guy that cheated on me in my own room was a little too much for even me to bear.