24 Friends and Foes Alike

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, the door to the lab opened up.

"Uh oh, someone's coming!" The three of us quickly ducked behind some machinery.

Four scientists marched into the room.

The head scientist approached Mewtwo's chamber and gazed upon it for a moment. He then turned back to his colleagues and spoke of transferring Mewtwo to an offshore laboratory on orders from the boss. His underlings quickly got to work.

"Oh no," I said, cursing myself for not finding a way to help Mewtwo sooner.

Eevee and Poliwag both frowned.

"I guess there's nothing to do now. Let's keep going." We carefully snuck around the scientists and ventured further into the lab. I hoped that one day we would encounter the unfinished Mewtwo again. If we did, I would make sure to help it out no matter what.

On the far end of the room, three scientists stood around a table equipped with hi-tech gadgets and machinery. All donned professional lab coats, and all were engrossed in the group project before them. Laughing maniacally, the scientists held out different evolutionary stones.

"A Fire, Water, and Thunder Stone?" I curiously muttered, sneaking around some machinery to better observe the scientists and their current experiment. "What are those bastards up to?"

"Let's try this again," chuffed one man, unaware of our presence behind them.

"Test No. 33," voiced a woman.

The second man gestured with an electric baton. "And this time, try not to waste too much of our time, okay?"

My ears picked up a submissive cry of pain. "What's that sound?"

At a better viewing angle, we spotted a Pokémon on the scientists' table. Small, furry, big brown ears, and a fluffy tail, this one struggled to remain standing with the scorch marks and lashes covering its body. One of its back legs had been chained to the table.

Upon recognition of the helpless Pokémon, my blood froze. "It's an—!"

Eevee roared and leapt from our hiding spot. He gave the scientists no time to react and attacked with Swift. The assault continued with Hidden Power, sending two of them into some metal shelving.

"Yikes," I winced.

Wanting to avenge his comrades, the third scientist reached for a Poké Ball on his belt.

"Bubble Beam, Poliwag!" Obeying my command, Poliwag fired off a stream of bubbles to knock the man unconscious.

After tying up and gagging the scientists, our attention went to the second Eevee. It acknowledged our presence for a moment before collapsing from the pain. "Oh no!" I gasped, rushing over and unlocking the chain from around its foot.

Eevee softly mewled and nudged the other's head, begging it to wake up.

A moment went by, and finally, it did. The second Evolution Pokémon lifted its head, cracked a smile, and made a low purr, prompting a tearful reunion that squeezed my heart in a pleasant way.

"Now, I get it," I choked, watching the silver Eevee nuzzle the female one.

Poliwag hopped onto my shoulder and brushed away my tears.

I smiled at him. "Thanks."

The female Eevee heard my voice and gazed up at me, eyes widening.

I raised my hands. "It's alright! I won't hurt you!" Poliwag quickly flicked my hat off and onto the floor. "Yeah! See? I'm not one of those bastards. I'm a good guy. My name's Rosa, and I came here with Eevee. Honest!"