Chapter 19- What Actually Happened

POV Ciara

My first day at the refuge wasn't that bad. I was simply locked in a room with Crutchy, Sparky, and Tucker. We got no food and when we heard footsteps, we had to be silent.

I sat by the window with Crutchy. Together, we stare at the beautiful colorful sky as the sun starts to go down.

I wonder how the strike is going. I wonder how the boys are doing. I hope Jack is ok.

"Ya know, before ya came to da lodge house, me and Jack used ta sit on da rooftop and talk all day about our dreams. He called it his pent house in da sky." Crutchy says breaking our comfortable silence.

"Oh yeah? What else he say?" I smile.

"Well, Jack dreams of leavin here and goin off west to Santa Fe. He'd tell me about da beautiful green fields and Palominos we could ride. And best of all, he said no one out west would care about my leg... I really hope we make it there some day." he sighs.

"Aw Crutchy, I don't care about your leg. I think you and Jack's dreams will come true- Santa Fe sounds amazing." I assure him.

I think it's really sweet Jack tells him all these stories and hopes for land out west. I can tell it really has impacted Crutchy- it gives him hope.

"Ya think so?" he asks, his eyes sparkling with hope.

"I know so." I smile.

I lean my head on his shoulder and continue to stare peacefully at the sunset. Unlike the Refuge, the sunset was bright and full of color.

This place needs some light and color.

Suddenly, I hear a small knock on the brick beside the window. Crutchy and I exchange a confused glance before I stand up to investigate the noise.

I peer through the window and a boy around my age pops out with a hesitant look. He has curly brown hair and freckles that dot his under eyes and nose. 

He definitely looks familiar. I know I've seen him before, I just don't know where.

"Flynn?" Sparky's voice behind me calls out.

Sparky rushes to the window and the two of us gawk at the boy swinging in front of the window.

"Shhh." Flynn whispers putting a finger in front of his lips.

"Ciara, I'm Flynn. Spot's second in command. We neva formally met, but I's need ta talk ta yous." he says quietly.

I quickly frown. I don't want to talk to Spot, think about him, or talk to any his friends.

He gives me a knowing glance and continues, "I's know yous hate Spot right now, but please give me da time of day just ta explain what's goin on."

There isn't anything to explain. Spot cheated on me. And I was dumb enough to not see it coming.

"Go ahead." I tell him.

At the corner of my eye, I see Sparky give me a weird look. For the last 8 hours, he was under the impression I did not personally know Spot Conlon.

"Spot's got a crazy ex girlfriend named Blair. She followed him home last night after his business meetin and was tryin to hook up with him and stuff. Spot's been tryin ta get rid of 'er for months! She is crazy, he does not like 'er! He cares about yous- trust me he wants nothing to do with 'er."

"So then why was he kissing her last night? Seemed to me they were really enjoying each others company last night." I ask impatiently.

This made no sense.

"Spot told me he made up some stupid lie convincing 'er it would be their 'last night of love' ta convince 'er dey would never speak again. It was da foirst time he actually got through to 'er dat dey was really over. Listen, it's weird but just please hear me out. We alls know one thing, Spot Conlon does not have feelings. But for yous? Ya did somethin ta him. It's almost like you're breaking down his walls or somethin. He really cares about ya Ciara and I's know ya care about him too. I see da way ya look at each other... it's special. It really is."

"I appreciate you coming here, I just really got to figure things out right now." I tell him.

To be honest, I'm just shocked and speechless. This was a whole lot to take in right now.

"Ok, I's get it. Before I go, I's thought I'd let ya know, Spot's spent his whole afternoon locked in his bedroom scheming ways ta break you out. Be ready to run." Flynn smirks.

The boy disappears from the window and I sit back down next to Crutchy completely baffled.

"What da hell was dat all about?" Tucker asks raising an eyebrow.

"Yous got a lot of explainin ta do, girlsie." Sparky chuckles.

"It's gonna be a looong night." I sigh.