Chapter 7- Never Fear Brooklyn's Here

POV Ciara

"So Jack, where's Crutchie?" Specs asks.

It was the morning after I paid Spot Conlon and Brooklyn a visit. Jack had just walked over to Specs and I. I was combing through my blonde hair and Specs was standing next to me brushing his teeth.

"He ain't walking so good. Da Delancy's and Synder beat him up real bad. He thought it would be betta to stick it out for a month 'til he can make an escape." Jack answered.

Jack did not seem too content that he did not rescue Crutchie last night. But from what Jack's saying, it didn't sound like the boy wanted to be rescued. Not yet at least.

I walk out of the bathroom and to my bed where I pick up my newsie cap. I join the others who were gathering outside waiting for everybody to be dressed and ready. We have a big day ahead of us.

Outside, Davey and Les walk up to the group. Jack told me they still had parents to stay with.

They were so lucky- I missed my parents so much. I tried my best not to think about the home cooked meals, clean laundry, and constant affection they must receive from their parents.

"Mornin' Ciara!" Les chirped excitedly greeting me with a smile.

"Ciara's called Gutsy now!" Blink says patting me on shoulder as he walked by.

Davey raises and eyebrow but Les's eyes twinkle at Blink's comment.

"You already got a newsie nickname? I want one real bad!" he exclaims.

"Les is your nickname." Davey corrected him.

Les folds his arms, looks up at Davey, and sticks out his tongue. Davey rolls his eyes but I giggle.

"What's wrong with your nose? Did someone hurt you?" Davey asks curiously.

My hand flies to my nose where I feel the bruise from last night with Spot. I hadn't noticed it this morning and no one else pointed it out either.

Davey's eyes looked at me with generosity and I could sense kindness in his voice. It was sweet.

"Oh don't worry about me. I'm fine really. I'm just clumsy I guess." I tell him nonchalantly.

Davey nods but doesn't look too convinced. I don't plan on telling anyone I went to Brooklyn last night, never the less interacted with Spot.

I was unsure about how the protective group would feel about their newest girl newsie taking field trips to Brooklyn in the middle of the night.

The rest of the boys file out of the lodge house and head towards the gates of the circulation station. Our plan is to protest by showing up in front of our work but not actually working. Also,  to stop any other newsie from buying papers.

We all gather standing in rows. I stand in the front between Mush and Davey and we sing...

Open the gates and seize the day,

Don't be afraid and don't delay.

Nothing can break us,

No one can make us,

Give our rights away.

Arise and seize the day.

We step forward locking arms with one another until a horse and carriage comes charging towards us with newspapers piled in the back. 

We brake apart scramming to either sides of the gate before rejoining again in the center. We give stern glares to the boys walking towards us out of the gates with stacks of papers in their hands.