Chapter 2- The World Will Know

POV- Ciara

Everyone looks so happy. Singing and dancing in the streets and goofing around with one another. I trail the group towards the back with Jack.

We head to a small corner of two buildings where a stand sat in front of it. The boys call it the circulation station. 

"Let's go get yous a few papes and I'll have one of da boys sell with ya." Jack tells me.

We start our walk to the front of the line that already start to form. I follow him closely not wanting to upset anyone for not waiting my turn.

Racetrack, Blink, Mush, and a few other boys are already waiting at the front as well. They wear displeased expressions, much different from the ones they wore on their way over here.

One of the boys I do not recognize stands with them and a much younger boy. These two are dressed in newer, much neater clothes then the rest of the boys. I offer them a small smile.

"They jacked up da price! Did ya hear dat? 10 cents a hundred!" Blink huffs throwing his arms in his the air in frustration.

"Ya know what, it's bad enough dat we gotta eat what we don't sell. And now they jacked up da price! Can yous believe that?" Blink continues shouting.

"This will bust me. I'm barely makin a livin right now."

"I'll be back sleepin on da streets," a few boys pipe up. 

This first day was not looking too good for me.

"It don't make no sense. I mean, all da money Pulitzer's makin... Why would he gouge us?" Mush asks sighing.

"Cuz he's a TIGHTWAD, dats why." Race exclaims frustratedly.

He earns a few cheers of agreement from the rest of the newsies. 

Jack finally speaks up, taking control of the situation, " 'Ey, c'mon. Pipe down, its just a gag." 

He walks up to the stand with the bars and leans in close. A scruffy, round man stands behind the bars.

"So why da jack-up Weseal?" Jack asks annoyance clear in his tone.

"Why not?" the man stuck a finger in his mouth and then points towards the sky. "It's a nice day." he answers arrogantly.

I do not like this guy. No wonder Jack called him Weasel. 

Weasel and two boys behind him smile smugly at Jack at the rest of us. Jack walks away shaking his head aggravated with Weasel's arrogant response. 

"It ain't fair. We got no rights at all." a boy sighs and Jack takes a seat next to him.

"C'mon, it's a rigged deck. Dey got all da marbles, okay?" Racetrack spits.

I take a seat on next to Jack unsure of what to do with myself.

"Jack, we got no choice. Let's get our lousy papes while dey still got some." Mush offers trudging up towards the stand.

Jack stops him quickly and yells, "No, nobody's goin anywhere."

The boys chatter anxiously what to do. I don't really have anything to add or say since I know very little about what was going on.

To the best of my understandings, I gathered the man who owns the papers these newsies sell, raised the price. But why? Why the newsies out of all businesses?

The little boy I noticed earlier, pushes his way through the crowd and over to Jack. I make space for him to sit between the two of us. He is adorable- he has to be 8 or 9.