Chapter 12: Cafeteria Madness

Annabeth's POV

If that's how he wanted to be, fine. It can be like that.

Percy has been back at school for three weeks, and started talking to the new girl, Rachel Elizabeth Dare. They were both outcasts, so naturally they had a connection. I could care less. I haven't talked to him since the hospital, when he decided to be an asshole and not thank me for saving his life. The only interaction I had was glaring at him through the halls, and science class. Luckily, the presentations were last week, so now I didn't even have to talk to him.

I walked into the cafeteria, and was immediatley ambushed by Luke.

"Let's go sit at my table." I groaned. His table was filled with a bunch of jocks, a.k.a douchebags.

"I actually have to go to the library to return some books." I made up. Luke barked a laugh.

"Nice try. Let's go." I stood my ground.

"Luke, I really don't want too-"

"Annabeth, c'mon." He glared at me. People were starting to notice. He suddenly grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward.

"Luke-"

"Let's go damnit." He yelled. I sighed.

"Let go of her." A deep voice said behind me. I turned around to see Percy standing there with an apple in his hand.

"Stay out of it, retard." Luke snarled. Percy glared at him.

"I mean you are right, you can barely read." Luke smiled. Percy gave a small laugh.

"What the hell?" I said to Luke. Students began to gather around.

"I'll give you that one. Just let her go, she clearly doesn't want to sit with you meat heads." He said eeriely calm.

"Percy, you really don't have to do this." I said to him. He remained glaring at Luke.

"I'm going too, because I'm not gonna let this asshole do something you don't wanna do."

"What are you implying, Jackson?" Luke let go of me and surged forward at Percy. He didn't flinch. A crowd began to form around us. The two were just glaring at eachother.

"For the last time, let's go sit down." He walked off and grabbed my wrist.

"Did you not just hear a goddamn word I said?" Luke suddenly turned around and swung a punch at Percy. Percy ducked down just in time, and gave a just as hard punch to Luke's nose. There was a sickening crack and Luke fell to the ground, holding his now broken nose. I gasped and rushed down to Luke. There was blood coming from his nose, and Percy stood over him, unharmed.

Percy's POV

The two of us sat in the princapal's office in silence. With Luke at the nurse's office, it was incredibly awkward. I don't know why I stood up for her like that. I guess I didn't want Annabeth to do something she didn't want to do.

"You didn't have to do that." She crossed her arms. I rolled my eyes.

"I wasn't going to let you get pushed around by some douchebag. I would've done it for anyone, so don't feel special." That got her to smile.

"What?" I asked innocently.

"Oh nothing." She turned to me and looked me in the eye. I studied her stormy grey iris.

"I guess I missed your ruthlessness." I smiled. It went back to silent. I know what I wanted to say, but I just don't have the guts to do it.

I miss you too.