Chapter 44

Thank you @EmmaGunningCooper
And @Faridayasseeali for voting and commenting. They're the reason I have an early update 😁

Natalia's POV

I drifted in and out of consciousness as people rushed around me. I heard my breathing, loud and harsh, drowning out the other noise. My breath came out it pants and my chest moved up and down. It was a different feeling of adrenaline, a feeling I'd only felt once before. The feeling of adrenaline you get when you're fighting for your life. I was aware of Neymar squeezing my hand and I squeezed back in pulses. I guess that was his way of making sure I was ok. My vision started to darken again and I was unconscious again.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Neymar's POV

Another wave of panic overcame me as her eyes closed again, her body going limp in my arms. That feeling, of watching someone lose control over their body in your arms, it's something I hope no one else has to go through. I felt the blood drain from my face as I stared at her. Her skin was pale, cheeks flushed from running. The eyeliner in the corner of her right eye was smudged, streaking down her cheek. Her eyebrows were furrowed ever so slightly, as if she was disturbed. Her lips were coated a deep burgundy tint, my favourite colour on her.

"Neymar they're here," Kylian said, clasping his hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see the paramedics heading towards us. They quickly put her on a stretcher and put her in the ambulance. I just stood and watched, not really comprehending what was happening. My hands felt stiff with the blood that coated them.

"Come on, let's follow them in my car," Kylian offered, giving me a small smile. We hurried to his SUV that was parked right outside the gardens. Everyone was silent, simply sitting in shock. I could hear sniffles coming from the backseat where Alicia sat. She was clearly very disturbed about what had happened and her emotions were all over the place. On the other hand, I had no idea how to feel. I was panicked, scared, angry too. Why did she have to jump in like that? That bullet was meant for me. Did she see who was shooting? How did she know?

I let Kylian tug me along with him into the hospital. And that was where things went from bad, to worse.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Neymar you need to eat," Kimpembe said, handing me a brioche he'd brought from the bakery across the street. It had been almost 7 hours since the incident, and Natalia was still in surgery.

"I'm not hu-"

"Don't give me that bullshit Neymar," Alicia stated, holding her hand out to me. I reluctantly took her hand, letting her help me up. My legs ached from sitting on the floor.

"She wouldn't want you to be like this," Dani said quietly, patting my back. I nodded, knowing he was right. I could almost hear her yelling at me for sitting on a dirty hospital floor.

"Let's go eat, and just relax for a bit yeah?" Kylian suggested, looking out towards the Parisian streets. I was immediately about to decline, not wanting to even think of relaxing when Natalia was fighting for her life. But I realized that Dani had a point. The five of us walked across to the bakery that was surprisingly already open at 6 in the morning.

The weather in Paris was odd. Grey clouds covered the sun that had been shining for almost 2 months. Cold wasn't in the weather predictions at all this week. Yet here it was, dark and gloomy. We all paused to look up at the sky, feeling unnerved by the ominous feeling.

"She's going to be fine," Alicia said, squeezing my hand, giving me a reassuring smile.

"I hope so," I smiled weakly.

"I think you should call your family," Kylian said, taking a seat beside Alicia.

"Oh wait yeah," I realized that they were probably very worried about me.
I quickly phoned them to let them know I was fine, not mentioning that Natalia was in the hospital. It would cause unnecessary stress.

We finished up at the bakery and I was renewed with energy from the café richard I had just drank. Within minutes I was back in front of Natalia's room. I stared through the glass, the image of her laying, lifeless and pale burned into my brain.

I took a deep breath before stepping into her room. A continuous beeping filled my ears and the smell of sterilization chemicals invaded my nose.

"She's stable for now. There's still chance she may not wake up," the doctor said, a grim look on his face. I nodded, leaving him to speak with the others. I took Natalia's hand in mine. They were cold. That's what I remember because she always had warm hands, a complete contrast to mine. But in that moment they were cold and clammy. I closed my eyes, pressing my lips to her icy hands as I said a prayer.

Please be okay