04. Two Shots of Vodka

Human beings do not like being pushed about by gods. They may seem to, on the surface, but somewhere on the inside, underneath it all, they sense it, and they resent it.

-- Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

〇〇〇

The next day, as you wrapped up some paperwork, you thanked any listening deity that it was Friday. You needed the weekend to cool down and relax. It was the perfect opportunity to hole yourself up in your apartment and binge a new Netflix series.

Connor hadn't called you last night to practice social suggestions -- in fact, he hadn't even spoken to you since yesterday, when he'd stormed off.

You were so exhausted after the past couple of days that you couldn't find it in yourself to care. Well, maybe you did. Just a little bit. But you were ready to move on.

Your swollen lip was barely visible and you were ready to get home so you could take off your bra and stuff your face with ice cream. And cuddle with your cat, Princess. Of course. How could you forget?

You were smiling to yourself when someone approached your desk, and you did a double-take. Fowler was standing behind a young girl, a hand on her shoulder.

"Captain," you said, feeling the need to address him formally in front of a civilian. "What can I do for you?"

"This young girl came in and wants to make a statement," he said, grabbing a chair for her. He put it next to your desk, and the girl sat down. "She saw some suspicious activity in that new android district, Betrys."

"Okay, sir," you said, nodding. He walked away, and you organized your desk a bit. The girl who'd sat down couldn't have been older than twenty, and she was clutching three thick books in her arms. She was wearing a chunky sweater and a raincoat, and her glasses sat a little crooked on her round face.

"Hi, I'm Detective (Y/l/n)," you said, reaching out to shake her hand. The girl smiled softly, looking down, but she shook your hand.

"I'm Emmalee," she said. "But just Emma is fine."

"Okay, Emma," you said, logging into your computer, "what brings you here today? My captain said you saw suspicious activity in Betrys?" You pulled up the form to make a new statement. "Oh, if you could hand me your ID, I could have your personal information put in automatically. If that's okay with you."

"Of course," Emma said, handing you her ID. You inserted it into the side of the computer and her personal information on the form filled up in a few seconds. When it was done, you handed it back to her.

"So, can you describe what you saw? And where?" You asked, fingers hovering over the keyboard.

"Well, I was in Betrys because I wanted to take advantage of their night owl hours . . . I have trouble sleeping, and I didn't have a class today, so I went on a whim," she said, looking down. "I picked up some books to read because the androids there opened a bookstore. It was this whole thing."

You typed a few notes, keeping your eyes on her face.

"Anyway." Emma cleared her throat. "I -- I was trying to find my cab because it got a little lost, and I passed this alleyway. It didn't look sketchy, or weird, but I saw some people get out of a van on -- on the other side. Of the alleyway."

"On the other street?" You asked, typing away.

"Yes."

"Do you know which street?"