She was too late.~ Arson Berry

(~TRIGGER WARNING: There are mentions of suicide in this one shot. If you are sensitive to that, I suggest not reading.~)

Rich wasn't answering Brooke's calls. And he hadn't been for the last two hours. Saying she was worried would be an understatement.

She tried calling for what felt like the hundredth time, only to go to voicemail. She clenched her teeth as she left another message.

"Listen, Rich. And listen good. If you don't answer your damn phone the next time I call you, I swear to GOD-" She was getting ready to cuss him out when he picked up the phone.

"I'm thorry, Brooke." Rich's soft voice came from the other line. It was easy for Brooke to tell that he was crying.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong baby?" She cooed into the phone, anger melting away as quick as it came.

"I can't do thith anymore." Rich mumbled. Rich was sitting on the edge of the bridge, kicking his feet as he looked down into the dark blue abyss of the river. Everything was too much. His dad, people picking on him in school, the flashbacks of the Squip, everything. It was crushing him to the point it felt like he couldn't breathe. Brooke was the only thing keeping him alive. But now not even that was enough.

"What do you mean? Richie, you're scaring me..." Brooke said.

"I can't do thith. Any of thith. It jutht hurtth. All the time." Rich explained.

"Richie, tell me where you are. I'm coming to get you." Brooke demanded, rushing to the door to put on her shoes.

"Don't bother. By the time you get here, I'll be long gone." Rich sighed. "Brooke, I need you to know how much I love you-"

"Rich. No. Stop it. Tell me where you are." Brooke demanded, worry creeping into her voice.

Rich ignored her.

"You're the light my life. You make me tho happy. You made me feel wanted..." Rich mumbled, tears falling down his face. "Like I... like I meant thomething to thomeone? Like I mattered." He sighed, staring at the water.

"Rich, please. Just tell me where you are!" Brooke pleaded. She was crying now, not even trying to control the waves of tears trickling down her cheeks. She got into her car and started it.

"You made me feel loved. And I can't thank you enough for that, Brookie." Rich whispered. "I'm at the bridge. I can't and I won't thtop you from coming. But I can thtop you from witnething what I'm going to do..."

"RICH, NO! BABY PLEASE, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!" Brooke begged, sobbing as she drove to the bridge.

"I'm thorry, Brookie. I failed you." Rich whispered, face dripping with tears. He scooted himself closer to the edge, looking at the reflection of the moon in the dark blue water. This was it. No more pain. No more hurting. No more anything. "I love you tho much, Brooke." He whispered. With that, he hung up the phone and pushed himself off the edge. He felt the wind rush past him as he plummeted into the dark blue abyss. This was it. This was his 'Game Over'.

Brooke's heart sank when Rich hung up the phone. She drove as faster than humanly possible to the bridge. She pulled over and got out, examining the edge to see no one. Then she heard the loud splash.

Rich had jumped.

She was too late.

Brooke fell to her knees and let out the most spine-chilling scream of agony that anyone had ever heard.

Rich was dead.

She would never see him again.

She was too late.

(~Oh god owie my heart~)