42. Awkward Lesson.

Y/N woke up to the sound of bird song, and a fresh breeze blowing across her face. On such a lovely morning it took her a moment to realize why she felt so terrible.

When the memories of her encounter with the Archduke the night before finally surfaced she covered her hot cheeks with her hands as boiling shame coursed through her. She was so embarrassed about what had happened, and to make matters worse, she had another lesson with Frosino that day.

Y/N flopped back down on her bed, and buried her face in her pillows, dreading the awkwardness of the day to come. She considered simply not leaving her room and telling the chambermaid that she was feeling ill, but she knew that she would have to face Frosino sooner or later, so she might as well get it over and done with.

Y/N tore herself away from the enveloping warms up her blankets and went to get dressed. She pulled on a clean shift and fastened her corset. After that, she put on a lovely purple day dress and pulled the necklace with Paety's ring out of her bodice so she could see it for extra confidence.

Checking one final time to make sure that she looked presentable, Y/N pulled the door to her room open and exited into the hall.

. . .

After breakfast, Y/N walked as slowly as she dared to the library. As the doors to the dreaded room came into sight every nerve in the H/C girl's body was screaming for her to run away, but she forced herself to keep going.

She stopped in front of the library door. She felt just as nervous as she had been on the day she first visited the library all those years ago. Her heart was starting to pound, and she hesitated. Finally, after staring at the door for several minutes she pushed it open and stepped into the library.

The room was just as magnificent as ever, but Y/N hardly noticed as her attention was fixed on the figure of the Archduke sitting at his desk. He was scribbling away at some papers on his desk and didn't notice Y/N enter.

The girl approached his desk and when she was only a few paces away and he still had yet to notice her, Y/N cleared her throat to get his attention. Frosino's head shot up at the noise, and when he saw Y/N standing there his Indigo eyes widened in shock and he nearly tumbled out of his chair.

"Are you alright?" Y/N asked, concern temporarily overwhelming her nervousness.

"Oh yes, yes I'm fine," Frosino stammered, pulling himself back upright in the chair. "I-um I'm sorry about seeing you last night, not that I was trying to look or anything, it was an accident on my part, but that doesn't mean that you have to wave away your uncomfortable feelings right away- why don't you have a seat?"

Frosino looked away, his face was already starting to flush from embarrassed at his disaster of an explanation. He coughed awkwardly.

"T-that's ok," Y/N stammered, blushing as she sat down in her chair. "I know that you didn't mean to."

"Anyway," Frosino said, coughing again. "S-shall we begin today's lesson?"

Y/N nodded, and after that, the most uncomfortable hour of her life began. She would blush whenever she made eye contact with Frosino. Each time it happened she would look away in hopes that Frosino wouldn't notice. What she was unaware of was that Frosino's cheeks would become just as rosy as hers every time he was caught staring.

He really was trying not to, but if avoiding his feelings for Y/N had been difficult before, it was nothing to the challenges he was facing since he returned to the castle. Only making matters worse were his memories of what had happened the night before.

He didn't want it to be, but the image of Y/N's gorgeous S/C body was burned into his mind. Every time he thought about it he would start to stutter and trip over his words. He was just grateful that the H/C beauty next to him couldn't read his thoughts.

Frosino wanted badly to believe that it was nothing more than the romantic setting of the Ball that led him to flirting with Y/N, but as he stole a glance at her, he found that she had the same enchanting radiance about that she had that night.

Y/N went to grab something from the table at the same time as Frosino, which resulted in their hands brushing against each other. It was as though they had been struck by a bolt of lightning, and both of them quickly pulled their hands away.

Y/N looked at the floor with pick dusting her cheeks as her heart felt like it was trying to escape her chest. "S-sorry," she whispered. The feeling she had when her hand touched Frosino's was just like how being in love was described in the books she had read. She knew for certain now that she was in love with Frosino.

Frosino just stared at the H/C girl he had seen grow from a clumsy child into an elegant woman as he struggled to regain the breath that had been lost from his lungs. He moved his gaze to his shaking hand that moments before had touched Y/N's. Looking back up at her he tried to rein in his wayward heart only to find that it was no longer his.

"Our lesson is over early," Frosino said, breaking his eyes away from Y/N.  She quickly got to her feet, and after thanking him briefly, she hurried from the library. Frosino watched her go, and though it still beat in his chest, he felt his heart go with her. 

At some point, he had fallen in love with Y/N. He couldn't pinpoint the exact moment that he had though. As far back in his memory as he could go, that warm feeling of care for the girl was always present, and that's when he realized that he had always loved Y/N. At first, the love he had for was strictly parental, but it had evolved into something else.

Perhaps it had started on the day that he learned of their shared tragedy, but it meant nothing to Frosino if he could not remember the exact moment when he started loving Y/N as a woman, because he still cared for her as a daughter. In all forms of affection, Frosino's heart had belonged solely to Y/N since the day she first arrived at the castle, and it would remain solely hers until the day he died.

A/N

Looks like both parties have finally come to terms with their feelings, but what will happen next I wonder?

Tell me any theories that you have about where the story will go from her.

Also, I would like to know if you ship Ilidoro and Abela?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~