14. Returning to Normal.

For the next few days Y/N was bedridden, but after about a week she was able to walk around again. After another week of resting she was as good as new, running all around the castle as though she had never fallen ill.

She was out early that morning, helping Alfonse feed the chickens and collect the eggs. The ginger coachman picked the girl up, and placed her on the other side of the chicken pen, then the pair started walking towards the kitchen door with the basket of eggs.

Y/N skipped happily down the stairs and pushed the door open. She stopped abruptly, there curled up in a ball on the floor, was Tola who was sobbing. Between her crying, the faint words that she was muttering could be heard. She was pulling at strands of her dark hair while she rocked back and forth on the ground.

Y/N started to walk towards Tola, wanting to help her. Before she could get very far, Alfonse placed his hand on her shoulder, making her stop. He bent down and whispered, "best not be distributing her now little lady." He beckoned Y/N to follow him back outside.

She went with him, looking over at Tola again. She hadn't noticed their brief presence, and continued her weeping.

Alfonse guided Y/N back up the small set of stairs to the courtyard, and closed the door to the kitchen behind them. He took her small hand in his large one and walked with her across the sunny courtyard. Once they reached the stable, Alfonse picked Y/N up and placed her gently on top of a small stack of crates.

Knowing that the girl would do everything in her power to avoid setting foot anywhere near the horses, Alfonse went into the stables before emerging with a saddle and several other pieces of tack, bringing them outside so that he could keep Y/N company while he worked.

Alfonse began by inspecting all of the equipment for damage, after it all passed he began to clean it. Y/N watched on quietly. The mundane things that went on in life at the castle were still all so new to her that she found them all interesting to observe.

After a while, Alfonse finished the cleaning and returned into the barn in order to fetch a jar of polish for the equipment. He came back out and set to work polishing the saddle. As Y/N watched him, she couldn't help but wonder why Tola was so upset. She didn't want to bother Alfonse, but at the same time, her curiosity was eating her alive.

"Why was Tola crying?" Y/N finally asked.

Alfonse paused and scratched his beard before he answered, "The poor woman's been through more than enough in her life, and then he broke her heart to boot."

"Who broke Tola's heart?" Y/N questioned, wanting to know more about the people she lived with.

"Her good-for-nothing husband," Alfonse exclaimed angrily, polishing the saddle at an increased speed and vigor. "I hope that wicked wretch died in the mountains like the dog he was."

Y/N's forehead wrinkled in confusion at all of the unfamiliar words as her young mind tried to understand what Alfonse had told her.

The coachman, realized too late that in his anger he had used words that were completely unsuitable for the ears of a little girl. He began to laugh awkwardly as he said quickly, "pay no mind to my rambling."

Y/N opened her mouth to ask more questions, but before she could get the words out, Alfonse continued: "Now you best run along to the library if you don't want to be late for your lesson with Frosino."

. . .

Y/N sat in her usual place atop Frosino's desk. She swung her legs from side to side as she tried in vain to pay attention to what Frosino was teaching her. Her mind just kept wandering back to the conversation she had with Alfonse earlier. The more she thought about it, the more curious she became about what he had meant.

Y/N had considered asking Frosino about it, they had become much closer since the incident several weeks ago, but Y/N was still unsure as to the limits of his patience.

"Y/N you have not been paying attention to the majority of my lesson today," Frosino said sternly, looking over at her with his piercing eyes, while he reached for the teacup settled daintily atop its saucer.

"Frosino, what does the word wretch mean?" Y/N asked, tilting her head innocently.

The Archduke spat out his mouthful of tea all over the desk, surprised at her language. "Y/N where did you ever hear such a word?!" He spluttered, looking at the girl severely.

"Alfonse called Tola's husband a wretch," Y/N answered. "Please, tell me, if Tola has a husband, why have I never met him?"

Frosino sighed, realizing that Alfonse must have lost his cool at the mention of Tola's husband; he had always been emotional when it came to her. "I suppose it would not do to be keeping things from you," he began, blotting the tea stains on his papers as he did so. "Tola has been serving my family for a very long time. She and her husband both came to my father seeking refuge when I was seven. My father took them in and gave them jobs here at the castle.

"The pair served our family loyally for many years, but earlier this year, Tola's husband decided that he had had enough of life as a servant and ran away in the dark of night; leaving Tola behind."

Frosino paused momentarily in the telling of his story to take a sip of tea, after that he continued: "At first Tola was so depressed that she refused to talk to anyone, or eat. Alfonse and I were both growing worried for her, she seemed to have simply lost the will to live. With that in mind, I decided to go down into the village in search of a woman to hire as a maid in order to keep her company.

"Life is a funny thing," the Archduke mused as he stared fondly at his teacup. "I went down into the village that day simply looking for more hired help, but I found a daughter instead." He reached out a slender hand to pat Y/N on the head with a caring smile.

She smiled back at him, grateful that she had found a place to call home, and a family that loved her.

"Oh, Y/N," The Archduke added, regaining some of his sternness. "The word wretch is quite an unsavory word, altogether unsuited to a young lady. Please do not let me catch you using it again."

A/N

AAAAWWW ≥~≤

This has to be the fluffiest book I have ever written. These characters are just so adorable.

What do you think happened to Tola's husband?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~