Ch.3

Ch. 3

A lot can change in six months.

Looking back, Perseus could have never imagined himself being where he now was.

His former self probably wouldn’t even recognize him.

The half-starved runt living moment to moment had been replaced with a completely different person; a different body and an entirely different life.

He no longer slept wherever he could find shelter. He didn’t take and steal what he could to feed himself, foraging and even looking through trash when he was in a really bad spot.

No, this was nothing like what he had known for most of his difficult life.

He now had a roof over his head and food provided for him on a daily basis. For the past couple months, since their arrival, Heracles and he had lived under the care of King Eurystheus, in his kingdom of Tiryns, one of the three strongholds of Argolis.

The king had taken the two demigods into his kingdom with little to no questions of their reasons. Perseus wondered if they had been expected but Heracles had told him to keep his questions to himself and follow his lead as they settled in to their new home.

Though he kept his tongue, it did not stop his internal questioning of the king’s true intentions.

It wasn’t that the king was a bad man. In fact, he had offered nothing but kindness and generosity to both he and Heracles since their arrival. But something about the small and feeble looking monarch unsettled Perseus. He knew Heracles felt the same way. He never said anything but the way he would stiffen when the king approached and was always careful to keep a watchful eye when the lord of the land was around told him they were both getting the same vibe.

His kindness was faux. He wasn’t doing it out of the kindness of his heart. In fact, looking at the way he treated some of his subjects, Perseus wondered if there was any kindness in there. But he did not question it, he kept his head down and was polite and respectful, just as Heracles had instructed him.

His relationship with the son of Zeus was one of the biggest changes. It took a little bit but after a few weeks, Perseus let him guard down and found Heracles was true to his word. He seemed to have no ulterior motives and merely wished for companionship and to help Perseus to understand the mythical and magical world around them.

It began with archery.

Heracles, for his size, strength, and skill with most weapons, seemed to favor the bow over all others. He was also rather keen to a celestial bronze studded club he had crafted shortly after their arrival in Tiryns but he still preferred the bow as his weapon of choice. It took him a few days after leaving Delphi but he carved Perseus the most beautiful bow the young demigod had ever laid eyes on. For all his brute strength, Heracles had a skill with his hands that would leave the greatest craftsmen in want for the grace in which he could work on small objects.