Ch. 12

Ch. 12

Heracles had nothing to say. No clever excuse, no logical argument to use to plea his case to the goddess. He'd accepted the quest knowing full well this was the likely outcome. The only solace he could take was knowing Perseus would not be here to feel the goddess' wrath as well.

"Sister," Apollo said imploringly. "Don't make a rash decision. This was the only possible outcome when Eurystheus issued the quest."

If she heard her twin brother, the goddess made no indication. She just continued to glare menacingly at the hulking demigod.

It was like the two were in a silent battle of wits. Though only Artemis looked angry, Heracles did not lower his gaze. Whatever fate awaited him, he planned to face head on.

"Unhand my stag, boy." She finally spat at him. If it were possible, her words would have had actual venom in them, striking the young man in front of her down.

Heracles moved slowly, lowering the animal to ground gently. It tried to step towards its mistress but its leg was still lame; it dropped to the ground and whimpered softly.

Heracles could see the goddess' perfect nostrils flare in anger. Apollo tried to put a hand on her shoulder but she swatted him away roughly.

She stepped forward and knelt by her immortal companion. She stroked its head lovingly before placing a glowing silver hand over the wound. The stag stirred slightly but remained still for its mistress. Heracles could only watch in awe as the wound slowly knit itself back together under the divine touch.

When the wound was closed up, the stag gingerly climbed back to its feet. Its snout nuzzled into Artemis' hand for a moment before it folded its front legs underneath it and resumed a much more comfortable seat by the goddess' side.

"Well," Apollo said interrupting the rather serene moment. "Seems like this situation has resolved itself. We should return to Olympus..." He was cut off by Artemis' frigid glare.

"You have dared to hunt a Hind of Ceryneia," she turned her icy eyes to Heracles. "I allowed you to pursue my stag under the presumption it would not be harmed. For this injustice, you will be punished, demigod."

Heracles made no effort to flee. He did not try to counter the goddess' claim either. He met her eyes and lowered his head in acceptance.

"Sister," Apollo warned. "You are playing straight into Hera's plan. This was her design from the very beginning. Don't allow yourself to be her pawn."

Artemis didn't acknowledge his words. In her heart, she may have known them to be true but she also could not let this insult go unpunished. A silver bow appeared in her hand and she plucked an arrow from her newly conjured quiver. She took aim at the son of Zeus.

"Any final words?"

Heracles looked up at last and met Artemis' steely gaze.

"Although I never intended to insult you, my lady, I accept responsibility for my actions. I am at your mercy, my only request is that you allow me a proper burial and honor as a child of the gods."

Artemis was unmoved by his words. Just as she prepared to send the hero off to the underworld, a blur of movement caught her eye.

"NO!"

Heracles was hit hard in the side, sending him crashing to the ground. In his place, now stood a boy no older than twelve. His face was beaded with sweat and an almost feral look was in his eyes.

Artemis nearly lost the grip on her arrow in surprise but she quickly regained her composure and kept the arrow aimed at this strange child.

"Be gone, child. You have no business here." She said in more of a scolding than an angry tone.