Ch. 15

Ch. 15

Perseus didn't understand.

Why didn't gods help all the time? It was obviously within their power.

His father had sent these two fine stallions to help carry the Erymanthian Boar back to Tiryns for them and he was sure it took little more than a snap of his fingers to make it happen.

It took them weeks to get from Tiryns, to the land of the centaurs, and then to Mount Erymanthus. It took them less than a week to get back to Tiryns.

These had to be some kind of divine super horses too. They barely rested and traveled at speeds that were impossible for normal equine.

If they had them from the start, they could have finished this quest in a third as much time. But then again, that seemed to be the way gods worked. Showing up to help when you least expected it and leaving you hanging when you thought it'd be a good time for them to make an appearance.

The minute they reached the outskirts of King Eurystheus' lands, the two horses stopped in their tracks. The harnesses vanished and the two bolted into the abyss of the wilderness without so much as a second glance back at the two heroes.

Heracles watched the two steeds speed away and shook his head.

"Well, I guess we're walking the rest the way."

Perseus rolled his eyes, "Are you really complaining?"

Heracles grabbed the chain and pulled it over his right shoulder, making sure it was taut, then just grinned.

"Of course not, this makes the feat look much more impressive. Let's go, I'm anxious to see the look of that fool's face when we drop this beast on the steps of his palace."

Perseus didn't have time to respond, Heracles took off, pulling the boar behind him and moving at almost a sprint towards the city. Perseus ran alongside for a few minutes before a much better idea came to mind. He slowed his pace, then sprinted as fast as he could, catching up the the dragging boar before he leaped to his right and landed on its side. He reached up, grabbed one of the tusks and held on, enjoying a free, albeit bumpy ride to the city.

When Heracles reached the city gates, he stopped gasping for breath. Perseus jumped off his unwilling steed and landed to the son of Zeus' right with a huge grin on his face.

"Whew, that was tough."

Heracles looked at him, and then at the boar before he gave a look to indignation.

"Did you really just..."

"What?" Perseus asked innocently. "You didn't even notice the extra weight. Besides, I'm still injured." He clutched his shoulder which was actually feeling much better and feigned pain.

Heracles was about to say something but the commotion of the kings vanguard approaching captured his attention. They approached quickly and parted as soon as they reached the duo.

"Well, why have you return..." King Eurystheus froze mid-sentence when he laid eyes on the boar, which had long since given up its struggling.

"The Erymanthian Boar," Heracles gave a deep mocking bow, "as you have ordered, my lord."

The king just stared in disbelief at the monstrous creature. He had been so sure this would be the quest to stump the two heroes that he hadn't even thought about what to do if they returned successful. He hoped it would claim their lives but would have also settled for their returning in failure. But now, as he stared at the immense creature, words escaped the usually silver tongued king.