Ch. 11

Ch. 11

"Did you think I was Artemis?"

Heracles just stared at the young man, unsure of what to even say.

Apollo just kept an eyebrow raised before Heracles dropped to a knee in front of the god, figuring this was the safest thing to do in the presence of an Olympian.

"My lord, I'm sorry. I just," he wasn't even sure how to talk to a god, he'd never met one before. "Why have you come here, Lord Apollo?"

Apollo smiled at the kneeling demigod and gestured all around them.

"You two are the most entertaining thing since my battle with Python in Delphi! And this one," he pointed to the unconscious Perseus on the ground, "what is he, like ten? Have you seen his skill with a bow?" Apollo laughed at himself, "Of course you have, you taught him. But I can't let him lose an arm, he could be the greatest archer since I blessed this world with my existence!"

Heracles ignored the god's self praise and picked out the one useful thing mentioned, "You can help him?"

Apollo shot him a look of disbelief, "Uh, I am Apollo."

Apparently that was explanation enough.

Apollo knelt by Perseus and pulled a small flask from out of nowhere and poured its contents all over Perseus' arm. The son of Poseidon writhed a little but Apollo held him down with a hand to his shoulder.

"Hydra poison," the god just shook his head sadly, "such a dangerous substance. Hera truly must hate you two to create a monster like this."

Heracles' scowled at his words. He knew in his heart Hera was behind his labors but to hear Apollo confirm it caused anger and bitterness to consume his thoughts.

"I don't know if I can heal his arm completely," Apollo said as he looked at extent of the wound, "but I will do what I can. Even my powers are limited once the poison has seeped into the body."

Apollo rubbed his hands together making them glow a brilliant golden color before holding them over his arm and began chanting softly. Perseus' arm was engulfed in a golden aura as Apollo chanted. He continued for an unknown amount of time but when he stopped, Heracles could see the weariness in the god's expression.

"I have done what I can for him. It may not be the most attractive part of his body but he won't lose the arm." Apollo began covering the arm in white clothe he conjured out of nothing until the injury was covered in bandages. "Make sure he keeps this on for the entire journey back to King Eurystheus. By then, it will be as healed as its going to be."

Heracles bowed his head to the god, "Thank you, Lord Apollo."

Apollo stood back up, "A mortal healer would have cut off the arm," he shook his head, "butchers."

Heracles looked down at Perseus and frowned at the grimace still covering his face.

"He is a brave child," Apollo commented. "You should appreciate his loyalty to you."

Heracles kept his eyes on his young companion, many thoughts passing through his mind. "I do, my lord." He paused for a second then decided to ask what he truly wanted to know.

Apollo just waited. He knew what Heracles wanted to ask. He was curious if the demigod would find the backbone to actually ask it.

"Why do the gods favor Perseus and not I? Have I not honored the gods enough?"

Apollo frowned at his mortal half brother.

"Have we not shown you favor, son of Zeus?"

Heracles mentally scolded himself for the way his words sounded.