Chapter 17

Today was a long day

Very long.

Sophie didn't know how tiring trying on dress, after dress, after dress was. And in the end Sophie didn't find a dress she liked.

Although Marella and Biana had better luck than Sophie that day.

"This is so cute! I can't wait to wear it on homecoming!" Biana squealed, while Marella fangirled with her.

"I'm still bummed we didn't find one for Soph though," Marella pouted. "But it's not my fault you were so picky Soph." Marella said, shrugging playfully.

Sophie rolled her eyes, and sat on her bed. Luckily, Aria and Jade were off shopping for their own homecoming dresses, or else Sophie would not have been able to bring her friends over. Caroline was somewhere around the house, at least Sophie thought. That lady didn't care where the girls were, she only cared that her curls stayed curly, and that her manicure stayed perfect.

Sophie was also lucky that her friends didn't ask any questions about the situation.

Sophie was lost in her own thoughts until Marella's voice snapped her out of it.

"Sophie look what I found in the back of your closet! Isn't it just gorgeous!" Marella told her, holding out a dress.

It took Sophie a while to realize what Marella had found in the back of her closet. Sophie's eyes widened, and she quickly snatched the dress from Marella's hands.

Marella gave Sophie a look of confusion and hurt, "Sophie, are you okay?" She asked, her voice no more than a whisper.

Biana nearly reaches out to comfort Sophie, but quickly put her hand down, as if she wanted to give Sophie space.

Sophie was confused on why they were asking about her, when she realized that there was a tear going down her cheek.

She was crying.

Sophie shook her head, and sat down on her small bed, cradling the dress. Soon after, Marella and Biana joined her.

"Sophie, if we did anything wrong, just let us know. We didn't mean any harm." Biana said, hugging Sophie.

Sophie simply shook her head, "It's not you guys, I promise."

They all sat there in silence until Sophie decided it was best to fill her friends in.

"This dress was a gift from my mother. She gave it to me as a present, thinking she would be there to see me wear it on prom. . ." Sophie faltered, and held the dress closer, as if it was going to disappear if she didn't.

They stayed silent a little longer until Biana spoke up. "I'm sorry, about everything Sophie," she hugs Sophie, "We didn't know you were going through this."

"This is my fault," Marella said, looking at the carpeted floor. "I was being nosy, I shouldn't have gone through your closet Sophie. I really just wanted to help." She looked up, and met Sophie's eyes.