Chapter 4

I take a deep breath before I enter the cafeteria. I don't want to mess up on my first day of high school. Everything matters. Don't trip. Don't make a scene Sophie. Play it cool. I walk in through the double metal doors.

My eyes instantly search for Dex's red head. I find him sitting near the back of the cafeteria next to Marella. I met her during my second hour class, History. I start walking towards them trying hard not to trip on my own feet. I felt eyes all around me probably because I am new. I avoid eye contact and look ahead.

"Who's the new weirdo?" Somebody sneered behind me.

I knew this would happen. It was inevitable. Someone is going to come over and tease me and I'll be the laughing stock of the 9th grade. Just like elementary school. I didn't turn around to see who the voice belonged to.

"She is a coward too? Not surprising. I mean, look at those jeans. She probably bought them from Goodwill. And her hair? Honey there is a thing called a comb, you should try it next time." She said. I heard some snickering in the background.

"Can you Shut up." I say through my teeth.

"Aww, did i make you mad? Do you want your mommy?" She said in a mocking tone.

I stopped to turn around. The girl had a thin frame and frizzy brown hair. She looked me straight in the eye awaiting my response as if she knows I will most likely chicken out. By this point everyone is also watching this go down.

"Can you back off." I said trying to sound confident.

"You have no right to tell me that, brat. You don't know what you're getting yourself into." She takes a step closer to me.

"I..." My voice falters. I suddenly forget my train of thought.

"That's what I thought." She gives me a dirty look before she sashayed away. I stand there to comprehend what had happened. I just got humiliated in front of the entire 9th grade. I looked down to avoid all the unwanted looks coming my way as I made my way to the back table.

I plopped next to Dex and Marella who looked at me expectantly.

I raised my eyebrows "What?".

"You just made the worst person at this school your enemy. How did you manage that on your first day?" Dex answered, his face still showing signs of shock.

"I have been a living, breathing, walking bully magnet since kindergarten. This is normal for me..." I said the last part quieter.

Marella frowned in pity, and soon that changed into a scheming, evil look.

"I have a wonderful idea...but I need your help." She said finally.

Dex looked at her suspiciously " I don't like where this is going Marella."