Chapter 12: Field Day

Lately, I've been having this reoccurring dream. I've been welcoming them more than the nightmares. This reoccurring dream starts with me in a circle of flames, holding a bow and arrow. It is aimed at the abyss. I release the arrow and then everything glows bright. I have no idea where it is going except it feels like it is reaching its true target. And as fast as it came, I woke up.

Maybe "waking up" is not the choice of words as I am greeted by a blaring sound coming from the hallway. This is now month two of my training. After compromising with Ury, I packed up my minuscule items and move down the training hall. Again, I have a roommate, but Edith doesn't look, sound or act anything like Jillian. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.

I covered one ear with my hand as I used to other to get dressed. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a red shirt. I tried wearing a tank top on my fourth official day of training and I will not make that mistake again. Somehow the training became less about toning our skills and more about who can get Mason's top off. Ury tried to convince me that it was just playful combat, but I'm pretty sure they were getting back at me for running. Noah came so close by cutting off my straps.

Today was a field day. We got to go out and experience the fresh air and crisp green grass. Jesse came down today. We both decided to do a group partnering, Noah and I and her and her partner Gina. Gina and I have a mutual understanding. If she doesn't elbow me in the mouth like she did during our last combat, I won't punch her in the throat. Gina is a lovely person.

"I won't go easy on you today Faye," Noah smirked

"Is that what you called going easy? Me putting you on your ass?" I adjust my gloves and lightly punched his shoulder. He made a show of acting as if it hurt.

"Ouch!" He shouted. "Should we be calling you Rocky instead of Faye?"

"Rocky?" I lifted a curious brow.

"Yeah, it was on last week, from the old movies," Noah explained. "He was a boxer. A pretty good one in fact."

"Oh," I nodded.

In an effort to make our situation as normal as possible, they allow us to watch movies once a week near the fountain. The only other thing is daily news about the heinous acts of the rebellion. There was a recent picture of Ury and Daniel under the word "Fugitives."

"Oh, you guys are so cute," Gina remarked. "I wish I had a boyfriend to fight with."

"We're not—t," I let it go. For weeks people have been speculating about our relationship. I've had enough of saying "We're not dating" or "I have a boyfriend". I usually get looks of skepticism.

"Okay boys and girls, we have a field day. Usually, I would have you either fight against your partner or work together against another group, but today, you all have a target. Ury holds up a small pink orb. It was glowing so bright that if it was lost in the forest, you couldn't miss it. Ury tossed it in the air and instead of it coming down, it stayed dead still where it floated.