Chapter 7: On Guard

"No," I shook my head as I shot up from the table, "you're wrong. I would never kill someone I love."

"Sometimes people are given hard choices Mason," Diana sighed. "It doesn't mean you're a bad person."

"No!" I shouted. "I'm not going to kill someone I love, no matter how hard the choices are. How could you say that to me? I've already lost enough people. I'd take my own life before I hurt the people I have left to care about." I crossed my arm. "Jesse, how do I get out of here? I just want to lay down. I'm done here."

"Mason, please ju-"

Obviously a part of me did believe in Diana's prediction, but I didn't want to believe I could so something so horrible. What happened to making your own future? It seems that I've never had a say in mine. And it scares me. I was shaking with pain and guilt. This can't be what my life is measuring up to.

"No! No more talking. I want to leave. Coming here was a mistake. All I wanted was a distraction, not all this."

"You can't always run from your problem. I mean, shit happens," Jesse said. "If I broke down every time I've lost someone, then I would literally be in pieces. Mason, I lost everyone. All I have is my family here so you have no right to complain!

"Did people die because of you?!"

"My parents did. They gave their life so I could be safe. When I was nine," Jesse paused as a stream of tears flowed from her eyes, "someone had tipped off the Council Guards to our location. We never even saw it coming. Both my older sisters were slaughtered in front of me. I was able to get away and find my parents. Thy said hide Jesse, hide. There was hidden compartment in the floor under our carpet. It was only big enough to fit one person. They made me hide." Her eyes went blank. "Not a minute after they pulled the rug back over, the guards stormed in. They were read the laws. Since they were not werewolves, that meant automatic death. I heard my mother's cries when my father was murdered. And then there was nothing because she was gone just as fast as him.

"I would have chosen death," I shrugged. It was a nonchalant action but right now, my emotions were my weakness.

"Whatever," Jesse shook her head. "You're a fucking idiot. No wonder death follows you. Even after everything I've been through, I still choose life. Because it's my choice. At least you still have someone to live for." Jesse swung towards the wall and walked through.

Usually, being my passive aggressive self I would have just waved it off and let her go, but I knew when I did something wrong. I said goodbye to Diana then I walked through the wall. By the time I was completely out, Jesse was all the way at the end of the hall.

"Jesse!" I shouted after her. She didn't even turn around. "Jesse look, I didn't mean what I said. I'm just angry...and tried. This is a new place and although everyone has been welcome, I feel like they all expect me to be some great hero. I'm not a hero. I just couldn't except a life of only making babies and being a second-class citizen. I wanted to do more, like my mother. My parents had a loving relationship. That's all that I want with Myles, but I'm afraid I might not see him again. And over the last years, he's being there for me repeatedly. It's not fair that I don't get to be happy too.

"I get it," Jesse stopped and turned on her heels. "It hasn't been easy for you, but Mason, It's never been easy for some of the people here. We're not asking for a savior, just an ally, with the will to seek change. Don't you think it's about time?"

"I do," I started tearing up again, but quickly wiped them away, "but I'm afraid. I'm afraid that people will put their life in my hands and I will get them killed," I thought about what Diana cards had said, "or worse."