But she wasn’t fooled. Connor had neither forgotten nor forgiven her. She and Connor first met when she was nineteen. And he was twenty one. It was at a JAMB tutorial centre.

At first, they started off as competitors. He was the best male student in the tutorial. And she was the best female student. The icing on the cake was that he was the guy every girl had a crush on and she was the girl every boy in the class dreamt of. Nonetheless, she never went out with any of them until Connor…

“Kimberly!”

She stopped in her tracks as the person who called her ran up to her.
“Your money. It fell out of the book you’re holding”.

She looked at him and the money in his hand. N10 note. It wasn’t hers. She couldn’t even remember the last time she held that currency note ever since she started living with her wealthy father. “It’s not mine” she said and turned around.

“Kimberly…”

“My name is Kim”

“I give up. It’s not yours. I only wanted to hear your voice” He smiled. “I love it. It makes me think of angels” He said.

And so, it became his habit that wherever she went, Connor made one or more attempts to talk to her and make her talk to him. Soon, she started smiling whenever she saw him.

He bought her flowers he had planted, perfumes, and took her to the nicest places, not to expensive spots the way some of the sons of her father’s friends did but to places that connected with her heart. Her emotions. Basically, what was a big deal to her, he made a big deal for himself too.

One time, he led her to the top of a hill. And when they were almost at the top, he covered her eyes and later he let her open it. The sun was rising at that moment. So, its rays fell on a solar board he had hung there. The dark board turned gold and the secret words on it appeared slowly, shining like the fiery red hair of a goddess. It read:

WITH ALL MY HEART, I LOVE YOU, KIM.

Then, he pulled out a hand band from his trousers and wore it on her hand. “It’s yours” He said.

She looked at it. On the band, were the words: No One Loves Me Like Connor.

Right then and there, she kissed him. And as the kiss went on, she heard guitar and violin playing in the background but, she couldn’t stop herself from kissing his lips like he was the air she needed to avoid drowning.

It was the first time she ever initiated any intimate contact between them. They had been dating for a year now, and were yet to have sex because she wasn’t ready for that big step. However, that wasn’t the whole truth. There was more to it.

She was terrified of sex. Afraid to ever be involved in it after she was abused by a male tenant in the boarding house her mother, Natalie (whom she recently discovered was not her mother but her birth mother’s sister who raised her after her mum died and until the time, she located her father) ran.

Since that incident, she had never dared to have sex again. And interestingly, Connor was patient with her even though she didn’t tell him the season behind her unwillingness.

“It’s you I love. Not your body” He said even as he stared at her curves as if she were the goddess of lust and temptation.

Two years after they met, on her twenty-first birthday, by then they were both already in the university. And for the first time, they had sex together. It was explosive. Like heaven was shaking right between her legs. Connor used his tongue to give her multiple orgasms, as he licked her like a desert-thirsty man.