Chapter 7: Laying the foundation.

Start from the beginning

“I was thinking we could get started on the patio around ten tomorrow morning...that alright for you?”

“Yeah I don’t got a issue with it.” He said, then bit his lip, his focus on the shelf. It was interesting to see just how enthralled he was with them.

I watched as he raised his arm to reach for a book, then froze, glancing my way with wide, cautious eyes. “Is it okay if I maybe look at it...I aint gonna mess it up or nothin’...I just wanna see what it’s about.”

I nodded. “For now you’re living here…you don’t need to ask me…you can use whatever you want.”

He nodded slowly, before he reached for the smallest book on the shelf. It was a science fiction novel I’d bought back when I was a freshman in college.

“You mind if I stay down here and read for a little while?”

“For as long as you stay here, my house is your house…do whatever makes you feel comfortable.”

He looked around the room slowly, as if he wasn’t sure just what to do, then finally he made his way over to the couch and sat.

“Your house is my house?”

“Yeah…you don’t need to ask permission to use anything here.”

“I aint never had my own house before.” he frowned, looking around the room again and I wondered what was floating through his mind. So for once I asked.

“What are you thinking?”

He shrugged. “One day I’m gonna have a house like this. A real one though…for me and Timmy, with a TV and everything.”

I smiled. “I know you will.”

His brows furrowed. “How come?”

“Because if you want something badly enough and you work for it, you’ll get it.”

He nodded slowly. “I aint no slacker. I’m gonna work real hard on your patio.” He assured me and I took in his determined expression.

How did a guy like this really end up on the streets?

When his eyes caught and held mine, I could have sworn he blushed, but the soft lighting made it impossible to tell.

I cleared my throat. “So you’re staying down here for a while?”

He shrugged. “If I turn on the light in the room Timmy will wake up so I’m gonna read down here maybe.”

I nodded. “Alright.” I gestured to the book he still held in his hands. “You’ll like that one.”

“Maybe.”

I turned to go. “Try to get up early. I want to get to work outside as early as possible.”

Another nod. “I was wondering…” he began hesitantly and I glanced back at him. “Could I take Timmy to see the Christmas lights down the street tomorrow night…they have them up at the houses...I saw them and Timmy likes the lights. I made him see some last year.”

I faced him. “Jason I’m not keeping you two here. You’re free to come and go with Timmy. You don’t have to ask my permission.”

He frowned. “But you said—”

“I said I won’t let you live with him on the street. As long as at the end of the night he’s sleeping in a safe home, I don’t have a problem with you two going wherever you want.”

“So I can take him anywhere I want, even if it’s for the whole day

 “This isn’t a prison and he’s your kid.”