Chapter 33: Home Is Where The Heart Is

Chapter 33

"What did the chief say when you told him that Jason saw those teenagers at the warehouse?"

"Now that we know both cases might be connected, he doesn't have much choice but to take the case from Jacobs."

"And no doubt Jacobs is gonna throw a fit." I said, and we grinned knowingly at each other.

"Are you and Sy up for it? I know your case load's crazy already."

Eddie shrugged. "Gotta do what we gotta do, and if this is all connected it'll probably make this easier."

I nodded. "Who are the agents authorized to question the prisoners?"

"The usual suspects; you, me, Simon, Jimmy and the Chief."

Good." I said. "I want to take a crack at them before I leave."

Eddie looked at me with raised brows.

"I thought you were sitting this one out. You know...because Jason asked?"

I shook my head. "You and I both know I can't do that. I'm already leaving with everything up in the air. I need to at least do something before we go or it'll drive me insane."

"Good luck explaining that to your man." He chuckled. "But I know how you feel. I don't think I could stomach even the thought of leaving at a time like this. This one's huge. It could drag on for a long time." Eddie stretched and yawned from his seat on the hard bench.

"Not helping Ed." I groaned and he laughed.

"I get why you're going, trust me. Family will always come first, and even I can see that Jason's cracking. Take him and go get his head on straight. Maybe he should even see a therapist. Held prisoner in a place like that while a mad man threatens your family will break anybody."

"Yeah." I nodded, lost in thought.

"Tell Damion he still owes me." he added and this time I grinned.

"You mean the bet? It's been three years, get over it."

"It's the principle of the thing man." He said. "Speaking of Damion, I heard he's got a boyfriend now."

I snorted. "Where'd you hear that story?"

"Jerry."

I shook my head. "Jerry needs to mind his own damn business." I chuckled. "One day his rumor-spreading is gonna get him into some deep shit."

"Don't I know it." He said with a grin. "It would be good if he was though. After everything he and Donny have been through, it would be good to see the guy happy for once."

I nodded thoughtfully. The only thing that made that guy happy these days was fighting fires. It was hard to imagine him crazy over an actual human being, but Eddie was right. It would be good if he was.

"What about you Ed? When are you gonna get back out there? It's about time you find a nice girl and settle down."

He gave an awkward laugh as he rubbed the back of his neck. "About that." He began. "I've actually been meaning to tell you that I..." he paused for a moment, looking unsure, and I watched him with raised brows.

"I'm done."

We both glanced up at the sound of Jason's voice, and I stood as he stepped out of the hospital room, where the doctor had been giving him a thorough check-up.

"Everything good?" I asked him.

He nodded. "So far so good, but I'm gonna get the test results in a couple days." He explained. "Hi Eddie. I never knew you were gonna be here." He gave a small half wave.