Chapter 6: Crime will always be a factor

Chapter 6

“All set?” I glanced in my rearview mirror to watch as Jason fastened his son’s seatbelt before securing his own. When he was done, he folded my arms before him and focused his attention out the window without a word.

It didn’t faze me. He’d finally agreed to stay and I didn’t exactly expect him to suddenly like the idea. I put the car in reverse and maneuvered out of the space. It had only been two hours since the breakfast fiasco and Timmy was, after much fuss, clothed, clean and happy in the back seat of my car.

We hadn’t yet fleshed out the details of his stay, but one thing I wouldn’t budge on, was the need for a car seat while Timmy remained a guest in my home. So that’s where we were headed—to the store to get a proper child seat, then off to the doctor for a checkup for them both.

I could only describe this as a heady feeling as I switched to a radio station for children and sat comfortably in my seat with my passengers behind me. It was new for me—certainly a day of firsts and for whatever reason, it put me in a good mood. Jason would come around. I’d make him see that this was a good decision and eventually he would come to feel safe in my company, in my home…maybe even happy.

I smiled at that and glanced again into the rearview, catching his eyes briefly before they narrowed and he turned away. Maybe this was what I needed, something to take my mind off feeling sorry for myself…something to divert all my time and energy into; caring for father and son.

“I was thinking we could stop by the grocery store when we leave the doctor.”

Silence.

“I was also thinking…I could give you a job.”

“I already got a job.” He finally replied and I glanced into the mirror in time to catch his expression; annoyance with just a hint of curiosity.

“I realize that, but we already discussed the fact that a ranch is no place for a kid—”

“And I told you I aint leavin’ him with you.”

“Which is why I found a better solution.” I trailed off, and his eyes narrowed. “I’ll give you a job, that way you’ll be with Timmy in a safe environment and you won’t have to think about leaving him for a second.”

“Last time I checked you gotta finish high school before you can be a cop.”

I chuckled. “No...I was thinking more along the lines of a handy man.” His brows furrowed. “You might have noticed all that junk around the yard...especially out back. I’m renovating. I already did as much as I want to on the inside, but I’ve still got a lot to do outside. I’m building a patio and with my busted shoulder I can use all the help I can get.”

“I don’t know how to build no patio.”

“That’s fine … I’ll be doing it with you so I’ll teach you.”

“How much you willin’ to pay?” he said boldly and when I rattled off what I believed to be a reasonable sum, his eyes widened.

“What happens when it gets built?”

“Then I’ll find something else for you to do.”

“I been living in the world long enough to know that people don’t do squat for you for nothing...so what’s your price…why’re you really being so nice?”

I shook my head. In my profession you learned fairly quickly that you should always proceed with caution and a healthy dose of suspicion was essential in this life, but from what I’d managed to learn from him, he let suspicion guide all his decisions. He might have a kid to think about, but that couldn’t be a healthy way to live.