Chapter 9: Expensive Charlatan

Coffee? Wait, what does coffee have to do with anything? I try to listen some more, but Dad is quiet. He's listening to whatever this John guy has to say. Who's John anyway? I never heard Mom mention him before, have I?

" I know, I know. I get that now. I fired so many people because of this ... I tried to find someone to take the blame, turns out it was always my fault ... Don't justify me, John ... She's upstairs- with my daughter. ....Yes, my daughter, John! I have a daughter! In fact, that's the only reason why Ana was in my office that night, to tell me about our second child ... Exactly. ....Phoebe. ...My thoughts exactly. Of all the names, she chose my suggestion. ....Do you believe so? ....I suppose that makes sense. You must meet her, John, she's literally an angel. A beautiful, mesmerizing angel that looks just like her mother....Ted? Oh, my boy. I only just saw him again and I'm already immensely proud of him."

My stomach churns. He's proud of me? Wow, Dad's proud of me. I know Mom is, but to hear this from Dad, it's so foreign to me. I didn't grow up with a father figure, so this is extremely new. I'm not used to this, but I notice that I have a huge grin on my face. Jesus.

"I don't know. He's possibly still with his mother. ..." I hear footsteps coming closer. Oh, shit! He's coming! I quickly scram and head to the left where one of the grand living rooms are. I dive into the big plush leather couch and from the coffee table, I pull a book towards me and open it. "Ted." I hear Dad's voice in the entrance hall. He's most likely yelling from the bottom of the staircase. "In here!" I stutter, and I hear long foot steps stride closer. He appears with an iPhone splattered on his ear. He frowns. What happened to his dinosaur of a blackberry? "What are you doing here?" He asks and I raise the book. "Reading." And I cross my left leg over my right knee. He cocks his head to one side. "Pretty interesting. Great taste in literature." I give him a thumbs up and he smirks. "The Ascent of Money, by Niall Ferguson?"

- "Uh yes." I read the cover an internally cringe. "...It's a sleeping tactic." And he laughs loudly, tossing his head back. I roll my eyes at him. "Did you hear that, John? He's also a comedian." Dad breathes and wipes a tear. It wasn't that funny. "Yes, of course." He gives me the phone. "Who is it?"

- "John Flynn. Very good friend of mine." Dad has friends? I smirk and he narrows his eyes. "Yes, surprising as it is, I do have friends."

I take the phone and place it on my ear. "Hello?"

- "Ted? Hello, nice to meet you. Well, technically we've already met. But you wouldn't remember that, would you?" He's British. I've never met a British before. I only hear them in movies. "No, sorry. Mr. Flynn, right?"

- "Doctor." Dad says and I arch my mouth. "Dr. Flynn?" He chuckles. "John is fine. Listen, son. I'm going to let you in on a little secret."

- "Oh, okay, sure." Dad leans in and I scoff at him, walking to the other side of the couch. He frowns. "I haven't heard your father laugh like that in years. Nor heard such enthusiasm, such happiness. He's genuinely ecstatic that his family is by his side now. Try to help him out with your mother, okay?" I turn at Dad and gaze at him, and he back. I don't know what possesses me to say this, but I do it. "Why should I?" I ask, and Dr. Flynn is quiet in the other line. Dad looks nervous and frankly, so am I. "Because It wasn't his fault." What? What wasn't his fault? "What do you mean?"

- "I'm sorry, Ted. It's all I can tell you."

- "Wait, what?"

- "Tell your mother I say hello. Hopefully, my trip goes smoothly and I return to America soon. Have a good night."

- "You too, sir," I mutter, and the line ends.

Wasn't it his fault? Does he mean the coffee thing? I don't understand, I'm more confused than ever. I hand the phone to Dad and he takes it, jamming it in his pocket. "What did he say?" He says wearily and I shrug. "That he hasn't heard you laugh like that in a while. " Dad rolls his eyes. "Well, he's not exactly the comedic type." I chuckle. "He also says that I should help you with Mom."