Chapter 1: A Different Ending

Yes, Finally! Summer vacation. The time I've been anxiously waiting for. School has been pretty hard on me, but thank the heavens I came out alive! Now, its off to a relaxing summer.

"See ya later, Ted!" A friend of mine howls at me while I hurriedly make my way to the staircase. I turn and wave at him with a grin. I notice in the corner of my eyes a group of girls giggling at me. Here we go again. "We'll miss you this summer, Teddy." A girl twirls her blonde hair and waves at me.

Egh. Blonde hair.

I fake a smile. "I'll miss you girls, too." And perfect timing. There's their flustered faces. Honestly. I'm just a sophomore! I turn away, ignoring their reactions and trot downstairs.

There's kids everywhere. Talking amongst each other about their plans for the summer. There's kids heading to the coast, others to other countries. Big deal. I'm staying home with Mom and my little sister. That's where I want to be. As I walk towards the exit absent mindedly, I feel eyes burning through me. Jesus, seriously? I look at my surroundings and- yes. Girls observing every step I take. Don't get me wrong, attention is nice once in a while, but give me a break! My genes are a curse. That's a fact.

"Steele!" Oh, fuck! Its Kurt. The idiot that's always trying to line-up me at everything I do. Damn it, I don't have time for this! "Hey, Kurt. Listen, I'm not really in the mood for whatever idiotic challenge you have in mind right now, so, how about a rain check?"

- "Oh, you think this is some kind of challenge? Melissa dumped me!" Oh, for crying out loud. Melissa Janson, the girl that's been eyeing me in Trig. "Sorry to hear that, bro. Want to talk about it?"

- "You think this is funny? This is all your fault!"

- "Look, man. I had nothing to do with it."

- "Kick his ass, Ted!"

- "Come on, Kurt! Bash his pretty face in!"

The students around us scream as the space between us starts to shrink, probably because there's a crowd forming around us. I roll my eyes.

I just want to sleep, damn it!

***

I arrive home with an aching body. I toss my bike in the porch and think of good reasons for my bruises and ripped up clothes. "Yes, thank you, Principal Whitman... Of course... I understand... You too."

Oh shit, shit, shit.

I cautiously open the door and see mom, releasing a disappointed sigh and clutching her forehead. Her brown hair cascades down her back. It's really long. When was the last time she got a hair cut? I dismiss the miscellaneous question when her head whips to my direction, and she is one angry momma. "Theodore Raymond Steele..." She uses my whole name.

No bueno.

"What in God's green Earth were you thinking beating up your classmate?" She sounds disgusted, and I can see in her expression that she's remembering something. "Self defense?" I shrug. "Self defense is not a broken nose and dislocated shoulder, Ted!" Whoa. I did that? Woops. "Mom, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean it. He instigated the situation and provoked me. This fight was not in my agenda, I swear." I drag my fingers through my hair and wince. I have a bump on my head.

Her face grows calm and sighs again. "Well you have two extra weeks of summer vacation, because you've been suspended with thirty detention hours. And you're grounded." Well that's not so bad. "And grounded doesn't mean locked up in your room, young man. I'm going out of town and you're coming with me." What? No! I hate traveling! "But, what about Phoebe?"

- "Phoebe is staying with grandpa. Don't you worry your head about her." Aw, crud. This is just perfect. Not even close to what I had planned today. Sleep till next week.