4

Everything I felt with his touch merged with the dust as our palms moved away.

The uncomfortable silence that hangs between the three of us is broken by a strong burst of wind. It's no longer the pleasant breeze accompanying me to the river every day. He hits my body like he wants me to fall to my knees and never get back up. For that is what everyone wants. But I have Cole beside me, who will always hold me, just as he does now.

„Let's go," he says, as his fingers run over my skin, feeling the goose bumps. I smile at him gratefully, and I'm already turning to leave.

„Which way are you going?" he pronounces it so quickly. My breathing skips a few beats until the familiar palms rest on my side calm me.

„To the city," I reply simply.

„Can I come with you?"

„No," I hear a lot more revulsion and fear in my voice than I had originally planned. Two pairs of eyes remain staring at me in surprise. I stare into the chocolates until I see the sadness and pain my disproportionate response has caused them. I sigh, „I mean. I'm sure we'd be holding you up and plus Cole has yet to get dressed and you're definitely in a hurry and-"

„I've got time and I can easily wait for you here," the hope in his voice is destroying me. I'm not mean. I've never been, so why do I resent accepting his presence? By looking, I trace those familiar eyes in the hope of finding advice in them. I don't miss the loud exhalation again and nod in defeat.

„So wait here, Chris and we're coming in a minute," Cole turns and places his hand on my shoulders. Together we go to the river to get our pieces of cloth.

***

A small forest spreads around us, dividing the city from the rest of the world. And the rest of the world just starts with our river. Its droplets grouping into one huge mass of water segue gracefully between large stones sticking above the water. It seems so casual and collected, as if every drop knows exactly where its place is. I quietly envy that certainty.

„What do you think of him, hm?" I'm saying a question that's been flying in the air so far. My eyes are embedded somewhere in the water, enjoying the graceful casualness.

„Well. He has slightly longer hair for my liking and would need a bit of grounding to beat him comfortably if he wanted to hurt you. But other than that, he's a nice piece of man," I'm turning around so I can see this moron who means the world to me in the face. His face is spread into a broad smile. I frown for a moment, but my grimace doesn't last long and I smile back. To a much lesser extent, but even that counts, because in this unjust world, everything counts.

„Cole, I'm serious."

„Me too. Did you see the biceps looming under the trick?" he looks dreamily into the tree, an ironic smirk playing under his nose. When he repositions his sight in my eyes, his face changes considerably,  „Samantha, you have nothing to worry about. If he wants to hurt you, I will always be next to you," comes to me and grabs my face in his hands. It's such a pleasant and familiar gesture that I have to turn a blind eye to, „He seems like a good kid, plus we'll only walk him into town.. Why did you start screaming?"

„What's the point of changing the subject so abruptly," I stare into his innocent eyes. I'm trying to find an answer, but there's none coming, „Just.. It was so foreign, Cole, you know? He looked at me so friendly and different than everyone else. And when he tried to introduce himself to me, he held out his hand and I blacked out. I thought he meant to hurt me because what else would he want. I don't know. I'm not used to it, and I'm looking forward to finally accompanying him and just the two of us again, our hungry tummies and our dark corner in the container aisle. And please don't blame yourself for my scream. It wasn't your fault, okay?" my palms will rest on his cheeks. I stand on my toes and give him a little kiss on the nose. He smiles gently and reciprocates the action.

***

Our relationship is so special. We've known each other for 2 years, and we've never felt anything more than respect, friendship and a bond that even death can't break. I don't remember a moment when I thought of him as a guy I'd like. He looks good, I'd be lying if I said he doesn't. He looks pretty good, but he's probably not my type. Who knows. We treat each other like siblings or best friends, but we both know full well it's something much deeper. Something you can't describe. I know I can talk to him about anything and he'll understand me. We're always extremely serious and yet we can make the biggest joke out of everything. I never understood us, and I hope it stays that way forever.

***

„Can we go?" I say to the wind when I see the curly hair and sparkles in his chocolate eyes again, which are proof that he's a living being and not a figment of my imagination.

***

Here I'm again. Sorry for not being active but I got a puppy so I'm really busy last few weeks. Hope you all are alright. Have a great day, whereever you are in the world and stay safe. See ya x 

Your Czechgirl03