3

I scramble to my feet quickly. His fingers gently grab me under the arm to help me get up, but I squirm nimbly away from him. His touch is alien and unpleasant to me. 

He stares at me, puzzled and a little concerned, „Are you allright? If I scared you, I'm sorry. I just want to ask a question," I'm starting to drown in his words. It's not that kind of calm dip under the surface. It's more like someone was keeping me under water by force. 

We're still looking at each other. My pulse calms a little when I realize that this person is not here to hurt me, but I still don't want to talk. Fortunately, the unsub realizes in time.

„I just want to ask if I can get into town this way," he points to a beaten path stretching across a large field. This is where Cole and I walk almost daily. I turn back to the boy and examine his face, probing. His longer brown hair twists into gentle ripples, and a few restless strands fall over his eyes. They're chocolate, and I don't see a hint of a threat in them. His face is spread out into a friendly, perhaps even slightly nervous, smile.

„Yes," I whisper and lower my head to the ground. Strands of hair go off around my cheeks, which I'm very grateful for at this point. But even so, I feel strange. 

„By the way, I'm Chris," all of a sudden, he reaches out to me. The rapid movement is so unfamiliar and incredibly frightening. I step back and close my eyelids. An unnatural cry comes out of my throat, „Easy! Don't be afraid" I can feel the big palms on my shoulders. I make myself open my eyes. It's still him. My screams will be carried away by the wind, and individual words will come instead.

„Don't touch me! Leave me, please! help, Cole! Please," I'm more likely to whisper the last word.

„Leave her! hey!" and it's that whisper that brings the boy who saved my life. Cole hits him in the chest with his palms, which gets my body out of reach of his fingers. Everything dies down. I sense in myself an unpleasant tremor that permeates my body like poison. And then it rises to the surface of my skin. I start shaking all over. The birds try to calm this situation with their beautiful singing, but they're at a safe distance themselves so none of this will concern them. A thought flashes through my mind.

What would it be like if I was a bird? Could I just spread my wings now and just fly away? Could I leave everything behind? Could I leave him behind? No. 

I've been asking these questions for almost two years, and the answer is always the same. No.

„What did you do to her?" the only reason my answer is my answer is plucking me from my daze. Cole stands with his fists clenched. Drops of water are still dropping from his body. He must still have been in the river when he heard me. 

„Nothing. Nothing really. I just asked her a question, then I wanted to introduce myself, and she started screaming," he says it so innocently and calmly. I want to start yelling at him about how he can be so cool when he scared me so much. But I won't do anything. And the worst part is, what he's saying is true. He really just introduced himself to me and I started to freak out. But is it my fault that people don't approach me, don't talk to me, let alone introduce themselves to me? Nobody's even tried it in the last four years. I wasn't ready for it.

And I'm afraid I'll never be ready for it.

„Leave her alone," his voice calms down, but there's still a hint of threat and mistrust in it.

„Cole," I gently pronounce his name. They both suddenly recover, as if they have forgotten me completely in that brief moment and look in my direction. My hero unfolds his arms and subsequently hides me in his arms. He hugs me really tightly, as if his arms should never let me go again, „It's not his fault," I whisper against his wet skin. He pulls away, staring me in the eyes, uncomprehending.

„What happened, Sam?" there's that unspoken pain in his eyes again. The last time I saw it was in the river when he noticed my bruise. Without saying it, I know he blames himself for his absence. He blames himself for my screaming, and I don't want that.

„He just came in and.. and asked if this road led into town and then he wanted to introduced himself. It's not his fault. It's nobody's fault," I deliver quickly when I see his troubled expression.

He strokes my cheek and turns to the stranger, „I'm sorry," he reaches out and shakes the boy's hand.

„Alright. And are you really okay? It was kind of creepy," their palms collide. The stranger then transfers his attention back to me. One of my hands is still wrapped around Cole's back and when I hear those two sentences, my nails dig into his skin with fear. I still can't get used to the excessive amount of attention I've received in the last half hour. 

I can't do anything more than nod.

„I've said it before, but.. I'm Chris," his arm will swing in my direction again. Slowly and uncertainly this time. My eyes go out to Cole and I look for his. The smile that spills on his face gives me the assurance that the gesture is allright. I track down the outstretched hand and squeeze it uncertainly. The warmth that lurks beneath his skin gives me a sense of inner peace, and I finally stop shaking. Shaking from the inside. 

„I'm Samantha."

***

Okey, it is out. What do we think about Chris? I hope you liked this chapter and also I will try to publish the next one really soon. Love ya, peeps x 

Stay safe, whereever you are in the world.

Your Czechgirl03